Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Internet slow

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Martin_bassman38

Martin_bassman38

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 08:02 AM

Hello

I have heard great reports about the help you have given friends.

Perhaps you can throw some light on my problem, which Tiscali can't sort.

I have a Wifi network for shareing the internet. using a WBR-T2 Router, adsl.

When i boot my pc, i can get fair internet speed, BBCi player works fine, it seems ok. When i have closed my web browser, according to the wifi network connection, which is bright blue, i am uploading and downloading lots of data.

If i also try to connect 1 of the 2 x laptops, they connect to the router, but the speed is so slow, it fails to fully refresh a web page, speed is as low as 10k.
Any speed test does not complete most of the time. times out.

I have tried, new router, reinstall pc, thats a delete partition / re format.
Check Adsl through the BT test socket, ran Spybot, and AVG 8 anti virus, Registry mechanic.

Here is the log file.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 13:50:59, on 21/11/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Boot mode: Normal

Moved from Malware forum.
LDT

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 01:10 PM

Hi Martin_bassman38 and welcome to WTT. Posted Image

We have a couple of talented members residing in UK who may be familiar with Tascali and WiFi networking.

It may help them if you provide information about the version that your Route accommodates, for instance, 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g, and 802.11n.

It might also help to know whether or not your machines perform as expected when connected by Ethernet cable.

I'll see about bringing your situation to the attention of one or more of those UK members.

I may not be understanding what you wrote, but "if" after closing all browsers, you are still seeing a large amount of network traffic downloading and uploading, then it will be important to carefully examine other applications that may be accessing the Internet.

LDTate moved your original post to this Forum, from the Malware Removal forum, so we can tentatively understand that no malware activity was evident in your HJT Log.

so that leaves us with things like auto-updaters, IM, P2P applications, allowing your machine(s) to perform as servers in connection with various applications and the like.

any of the above seem familiar to you?

Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#3 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 04:43 AM

Hi,
Have a look at this site:
http://samshrub.co.uk/adslguide.htm.
The directions are for Virgin but are similar for Tiscali....note that the link refers to a crossover cable......this may be a misidentification by the author or an error by the shippers...you will do better to use a standard patch cable (Cat 5e)

You can't select "country" in this set up, so use the following settings for UK and Tiscali
VPI= 0
VCI= 38
type in your user name
(note)
this must include @tiscali.co.uk
type in your password in the PPPoA
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate