This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

HJT checks ok. Is it a HARDWARE problem?

9 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Yes, I'd like to dig deeper. I had a problem 6 or 8 months ago and took the machine in. I downloaded XP SP3 and began having problems with my mouse. They uninstalled SP3 and said that was my problem. But I almost immediately had problems again with my touchpad mouse so I bought a USB mouse. No problems now. I'm wondering whether I should install SP3 now. On occassion by screen will go blueish green but have found at that if I hold down the Fn key and repeatedly hit F5 that will clear it up. Also, for no apparent reason my machine will just shut off. Sometimes I cannot restart until I pull the battery out and then restart. Also, I've been getting messages saying that my virtual memory is running low and it is reallocating memory. For this problem I have considered installing additional RAM. So yes, I would like to see if there is anything further that can be done. Toshiba Satellite A105-S2712 Desktop Intel Pentium ® M 1.73 GHz RAM 504 MB Microsoft Window SP2 Home All of the below hardware are connected. Logitech USB Mouse Logitech USB Camera/Mic USB External Storage Drive USB HP Deskjet D4260 Typically I run IE and Firefox. Not totally comfortable with Firefox. I'm constantly running Microsoft Office Programs and Adobe programs which I use for my education. I frequently use chat clients. The opening paragraph and following are pretty much it in a nutshell. I'm looking forward to any additional advice you may be able to offer. Thank you,
Tell us more about your machine: Brand/model, installed hardware, general preferred usage and a link to your malware removal work.

If your are inclined to do so, please Run the PCPitstop Full Tests and then post the URL address to your results page back into this Thread.
This will provide a great deal of information about your machine and how it is presently performing.
http://www.pcpitstop.com

The OverDrive test is free, safe, and Results do not display any personally identifying information.

Best Regards,
Doug
Let's take one thing at a time.

First, it is never a good idea to install an operating system update (for instance SP3) until the machine if running well and free of other problems. (Good job – You have already ruled-out malware infection, which should always be considered BEFORE installing software of OS UPdate)

While there is no reason that I have found to avoid SP3 with a Toshiba machine (the way it was a problem for HP machines until HP and MS issued a patch), I would still hold off on installing SP3 until you have completed the other recommendations of the PCPitstop Full Tests recommended Fixes AND the suggestions I've posted below. (I'll have a few more for you after these are completed)

Second, it appears that "some" of your problem "could" be related to chipset and device drivers.

I'd recommend that you go to the Toshiba website, find your machine, and download and install a fresh set of Chipset and device drivers.
(let us know what difference that may make, if any)

Third, and maybe this should be first…. Your Hard Drive is 26% Fragmented. That is a huge amount of fragmentation.

Reboot into Safe Mode and Run your Accessories - System Tools - Disk Defragmenter
Run it TWICE.
(let us know what difference that may make, if any)

Fourth, you are correct that 512mb RAM is a relatively low amount, but adequate for XP. However, from that 512mb the video adapter may be "borrowing" some of the RAM, leaving you less available for OS and applications.
If you have the budget for it, XP will run more briskly at 1gb (2x512mb) and "may" run even better at 2gb (2x1gb) (I personally prefer 2 gb)
__________________

You have a "TON" of processes Running Active in the background, most of which can be turned off via MSCONFIG.
"I'll separate the list into
"Should turn off - unless using" - Recommended
"OK to turn off - unless using" - Owner option

These processes are "consuming" 8% of your CPU and 312mb of your Physical RAM, just in the "Resting State" before you activate any applications or try to run anything or even try to browse the internet.

Total 65 - active processes running.
CPU Utilization 8%
Total RAM Used MB 312
RAM Utilization 62%


"Should turn off - unless using" - Recommended
Intel Hotkeys Intel® Common User Interface Intel Corporation 0 0
Realplayer - Schedule RealPlayer (32-bit) RealNetworks, Inc. 0 0
QuickTime Icon QuickTime Apple Computer, Inc. 0 0
HP software update hp digital imaging - hp all-in-one series Hewlett-Packard Co. 0 0
HP Digital Imaging hp digital imaging - hp all-in-one series Hewlett-Packard Co. 0 2
Intel® Common User Interface Intel® Common User Interface Intel Corporation 0 0
User Interface Intel® Common User Interface Intel Corporation 0 0
HostManager AOL Service Libraries AOL LLC 0 3
ViewpointService Viewpoint Manager Viewpoint Corporation 0 0 "Suggest" you fully Uninstall anything Viewpoint via Control Panel - Add/Remove
Realtek HD Audio Realtek HD Audio Sound Effect Manager Realtek Semiconductor Corp. 0 2


"OK to turn off - unless using" - Owner option
Aim AOL Service Libraries AOL LLC 0 1
TOSHIBA Power Saver TOSHIBA Power Saver TOSHIBA Corporation 0 1
Legitimate WinLogon Microsoft® Windows® Operating System Microsoft Corporation 0 1
Logitech QuickCam Logitech QuickCam Logitech Inc. 0 1
HP digital imaging hp digital imaging - hp all-in-one series Hewlett-Packard Co. 0 1
Toshiba Software Update File not found File not found 0 0
TOSHIBA Applet TOSHIBA TAPPSRV TOSHIBA Corp. 0 0
Logitech QuickCam Logitech QuickCam Logitech Inc. 0 2
ConfigFree ConfigFree™ TOSHIBA CORPORATION 0 0
Google Update Service Google Updater Google 0 0
Logitech QuickCam Logitech QuickCam Logitech Inc. 0 0
Logitech QuickCam Logitech QuickCam Logitech Inc. 0 0
Digital Camera Control Logitech QuickCam Logitech Inc. 0 1
StrgSync.exe File not found File not found 0 2
Acoustic Drive Silencer CD/DVD Drive Acoustic Silencer TOSHIBA 0 0
TOSHIBA Power Saver TOSHIBA Power Saver TOSHIBA Corporation 0 0
TOSHIBA Zooming Utility TOSHIBA Zooming Utility TOSHIBA Corporation 0 0
Toshiba Hotkey THotkey TOSHIBA 0 1
Speech Microsoft® Windows® Operating System Microsoft Corporation 0 1 <– this is a special case, see below
Outlook email Microsoft Office Outlook Microsoft Corporation 0 41
Intel driver Mobile Unit Support Service Intel Corporation 0 0
8021XConfig Module 8021XConfig Module Intel 0 1
Event Engine EvtEng Module Intel Corporation 0 0
Communications Helper Logitech Logitech Inc. 0 1
TOSHIBA Virtual Sound TOSHIBA Virtual Sound TOSHIBA Corporation 0 0
Toshiba Pinger Software Upgrades TOSHIBA Corporation 0 1
ConfigFree Tray ConfigFree™ Tray TOSHIBA CORPORATION 0 1

Turn off "Speech - cftmon.exe"
Open Control Panel
Double-click on Regional and Language
Select - Language(tab)
Press - Details(button)
Select - Advanced(tab)
Place a checkmark/tick in front of "Turn off advanced text services.

Follow the other recommended fix suggestions from the PCPitstop Full Tests.
*** Don't get distracted into buying their automated fee based tools. ***
There is nothing in the PCPitstop Results that cannot be fixed manually, and we will help as necessary. :)

Let us know how you are progressing.

Best Regards,
Doug
Ok, I defragged the machine and I believe it is running somewhat better but still slow. I went to the Toshiba website but am confused at which drivers to get. I'm not sure if I'm in the right area at the website. Should I install an updated BIOS. How do I find out what version of BIOS I am currently using. Pertaining to the processes you speak of I know about msconfig. Now do I go to the start ups tab or the services tab or both to shut off these process? I'm having problems finding most of these services you speak of. I did turn of ctfmon.exe. Now that I did accomplish some of the issues you addressed could you please re-address my questions? Let me ask you this. Are these suggestions that may not necessarily be there and if they are turn them off or am I missing something. Please help. I appreciate your help thank you. Lee
Hello Lee,

No. I am "not" recommending that you Flash your BIOS.
BIOS is Basic Input Output System
Since your machine is "working", your present BIOS is satisfactory.
Flashing the BIOS is a fairly major change to a machine, and should only be performed if an actual problem exists for which a BIOS Flash has been specifically scripted. MAJOR problems can result from incorrect changes to BIOS
For now… Please leave your BIOS as it is currently… no change.

I do see what you may mean at the Toshiba website. Kinda hard to figure what is being offered and what you may need.
Chaotic may be an appropriate term for the Toshiba site. Sorry.
__________________________________

The PCPitstop Full Test provide an "overview" of your machine hardware, operating system, software, memory, video performance, and many other features. Many items are "clickable" for additional information to research if they are not familiar to you.
Again…. don't get distracted into buying any of the convenient paid products.
PCPitstop does recommend "good" paid products, but most items in your Test Results can be adjusted manually. <– I prefer manual in most instances.
__________________________________

Since you state your machine is "slow", I first looked in Software - Processes.
You have or had 65 Processes Running.
The average user will ordinarily have only 28 - 35 Processes Running.
So I suspected that your machine may be bogged down with too much stuff running in the background.

I realize that not all of the reported Processes are easily accessible via MSCONFIG, but many are.
For now, we are only looking in StartUP(tab)
"Services" are just a bit more complicated and though we may go after a few of them eventually, let's leave Services alone for now.
__________________________________

Please consider running this simple utility that will help you get control of programs and processes that you wish to have running active, or not.

CodeStuff-Starters
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/Starter.html

Download and install, agreeing to the licensing terms and allow to install with all of the default settings as preselected in the installation wizard.

When you finally allow CodeStuff-Starters to run
It will preselect StartUps Tab
  • Click on File
  • Select - save as HTML (name the report file - Startups Oct30.html)

In your next reply, post the file as an attached file (use browse and upload buttons – at the bottom-right corner of your topic posting window where you are typing your next reply)

Then as you are reviewing these items that are running actively, give us your own best judgment of the ones that you intentionally want to have running (and consuming resources) and the ones that you either don't recognize or think you can do without.

Please do not make any changes with Code-Stuff Starters, until after you post the requested information above and receive recommendations from a helper here.

Best Regards
Ok, not sure what I can turn off. Wireless, from time to time I use that. I'm not sure if I can turn off the Logictech file or not because I use the mic everyday. NDStray I have no idea what that is for. Not sure what the Toshiba files like pinger are for. I hate Real products, they are a pain in the butt. You close them and they keep opening back up. I will tell you this though, I use NetFlix frequently so if any of these programs would affect me connecting than I would choose not to close those programs. There you have it. Thanks for the help. BTW, according to my System Config….I have 20 startups listed out of the 44 running. Ok…..I have all my drivers updated now. Next?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI