This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Is my laptop wack?

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Ok, I've been having problems with my laptop, which is my baby, by the way. :pullhair: I should mention that I'm pretty computer illiterate. Sorry- but I'm going to stick with this place and try to learn more about my computer so I can keep it going for another 6 years. Essexboy is also working on another problem of mine in the Hijackthis forum, so I have some of the problems under control. I bought my laptop several years ago, back in about 2003. It was a 30 G hard driveHP pavililion. It has Windows XP and is a pentium 4. Initially, I was getting strange screens with some quick reasons why the computer was shutting down. I could not read the screen fast enough to catch everything, but I did get three error messages: 1) kernal_stack_impage_error 2) kernal_data_impage_error 3) page_fault_nonpage_error Of course, these errors were occurring at different times over the last few weeks. Whenever I got them, the screen would be blue, and I could hardly read it. The laptop would reboot, and then I'd have to go through this long start up phase of up to 40 minutes of trying to do these f8 options and trying to get my laptop to start up in safemode, or VGA mode, or whatever I could do to get it going. Now, I've been getting special messages when I start up my computer. This is it verbatum: SMART failure predicted on hard disc 0 Toshiba MK4025GAS- (PM) Warning- immediately back-up your data and replace your hard disc drive. A failure may be imminent. Press f1 to continue. I am not sure what to do. I did get a flash drive and saved up all my work, so I'm good. But I'd rather save my laptop if I could. Does anyone have an idea of what I can do? I'll ask if you do respond, could you dumb it down for me? I don't know the computer talk… yet, but I'm definitely willing to learn! Thanks for any information you can give to help me out!
I have a lot of catching up to do after a day of madness, but until your given the all clear Essexboy it is not wise for us to have you touch anything, it may make their work harder, so I suggest let him do what he needs to do with you, then when he is done bump this thread saying you have the go ahead then people can start to see what help they can offer, so hang in there you'll be sorted soon no doubt.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI