This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

OE 6.0 Will Not Open?

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have been working with TOMK and he has done an amazing job of cleaning my machine up. All of that said, my major problem now is that I cannot open my OE 6.0. When I click on it all I get is the blue OE logo, the mailbox never opens. I have done the sfc /scannow with no success. TOMK said to tell TALLIN that it's okay to help me even though his section is not closed out

http://forums.whatthetech.com/Slow_Running…30&start=30

Anything that anyone can do will be most appreciated. My email is my lifeline, and right now I'm working off of my Blackberry….no fun!

Help>
Hi dphenry,

Sorry to see you are having very same problem with your OE email software.

Tomk wrote: And tell tallin it's ok to help you even though I haven't closed the thread yet. :)

He is a cheeky young pup that Tomk isn't he? But a respected Malware fighter, so I will say no more except to say I had a good laugh when I saw his post!

You have had this problem just recently so did you follow post #3 on this link or just post the HJT log as stated.

This is a further suggestion for you after following the above link given and #3 post:
  • Start
  • Control Panel
  • Add and Remove
  • Add Remove Windows Component in the left pane
  • Scroll to find OE and enable it if no tick in the box
  • Follow the on screen prompts
  • Reboot
Report back if after doing all the above has solved your problem please.

When you ran your SFC Scan how long did it take, did you reboot afterwards, and use the correct OS CD?

Best regards,
OK, here's the deal. I followed your instructions, then for good measure I compacted my mailbox files and then, I started my system in SAFE mode. After I followed your instructions I tried OE with no luck. Also no luck after the compaction, but, after the SAFE mode tweak, viola! My OE is back and running. Not sure what the fax was. By the way, in SAFE mode I was able to open the OE also. Big question of the day, what steps or fixes do I take now to keep it up an running. When I ran SFC it did take quite some time, and yes, I did use the correct OS CD. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
OK, I made the mistake of closing out my OE 6.0, now I can't get back in? I was in all day, now nothing? Help? I am trying to go into SAFE mode now and see if that "triggers" it? Totally confused here.
Hello dphenry,

I am a little confused with your posts, one time you have OE 6.0 working, then the next post it is not. Did you follow and have success with my last post to you?

Please go here and backup your OE 6.0

Alternatively if you have OE 6.0 running, download and install Windows Live Mail and it will automatically bring all your OE 6.0 email program into the latest Microsoft Windows Live Mail.

Keep us posted.

kind regards,
one of the folders is/was likely corrupted, or it could be sitting on a bad sector. the OLE files are in : [you will need to "show hidden files and folders" in -folder options- to see the "local settings" folder] C:\Documents and Settings\[UserProfileName]\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{6EFA0F4A-long alpha/numeric}\Microsoft\Outlook Express folders.dbx outbox.dbx inbox.dbx Sent Items.dbx Deleted Items.dbx You can try copying the files and renaming the old ones…. .bad instead of .dbx that's worked for me a few times when there were bad sectors there…..quicker than running CHKDSK too. lol… Tallon41

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI