Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Diskeeper Defrag Utility

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Mike8

Mike8

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 06:37 AM

I have been using Diskeeper 10 for years now without any problem. (Some people just dont like using these defraggers, as not necessary, but I have around 30GB of programmes on my C: drive a believe me I am a convert - anyway each to his own.)

Recently had trouble doing a boottime defrag with DK10 but could do checkdisk etc ok. Something was holding the volume to prevent it being used. Decided to upgrade to DK2008, problem and another one too entered the arena. Having researched it the following action corrected it. You may have experienced this problem particularly if you use a programme called Spysweeper, or have used it in the past and uninstalled it.(And it was not appearing in HJT.)

1. When you reboot you may see "Program not found - skipping Autocheck. You may also see reference to SsieFr.e (which is a remant on spysweeper). Yet you can still do chkdsk.

2. Now this requires a bit of registry editing, so dont do it unless you understand it or at least to a backup of the registry string/use system restore first/or ERUNT.

3. Look in the registry at: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager" and check/edit the string in the BootExecute value.
Unless there is something specific there and you know why it is there, then the default value here should be "autocheck autochk *"
My bad string had "autocheck autochk * autocheck SsEfr.e" [and SsEfr.e is not present on my machine and cause the boot prob.]

4. I have edited the HKLM string to show
BootExecute REG_MULTI_SZ autocheck autochk *

I also did a registry find search for SsEfr.e and found it again in another control set (4) and did the same edit, just for safety.

5. Doing this and rebooting and setting a boot time defrag in DK2008, it worked once, cleared up any reference to SsEfr.e but volume was still locked.

6. Final solution was to copy the file AutoNTFS.exe from C:\Diskeeper and copy it to C:\Windows\System32.

7. Complete reboot.

8. Reaction boottime defrag. Problem Solved.

Mike

Full reference:
http://www.diskeeper...am_not_fou.html

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 11:51 AM

Hi Mike, Many thanks for posting your experience and the solution. This topic will be indexed and folks who have similar issues stand a good chance of finding your informative post :thumbup: Incidentally I see I failed to welcome you properly to the WTT forums so.... :welcome: Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate