This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Checkdisk utility sticking

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Windows XP SP2 We had a power outage, and my computer was running several programs. When I got the power back on, and restarted, the Checkdisk utility ran. I was fine with that, because it has been a long time since Chkdsk has run. It went through stage one just fine, but when it came to stage 2, checking indexes, it just stopped on 0. I waited for about 15 minutes, in case it was just slow, but it never started stage 2. So I restarted and canceled the Chkdsk, ran CCleaner, MRU blaster, Registry mechanic, and Superantispyware. I ran Disc Cleanup and was attempting to run Disc Defragmenter, but I got an error message telling me to run the Chkdsk /f before I could defrag. I ran Chkdsk /f , and restarted, but the same thing happened, it hung on stage 2 Indexing. So I opened regedit, went to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager. The value for BootExecute REG_MULTI_SZ is blank. I checked in my Indexing services and it was set for manual, so I reset it for automatic, and ran Chkdsk. Same thing. So I reset my indexing services back to Manual, and here I am, hoping somebody has THE answer I need. I think I could clear up the problem by running System Restore, but I would much rather learn something.
Hi, Sorry to hear about the problems with your machine.
This is one of the perils of running without an effective UPS, most times folks get away it but sometimes they don't, so lets hope you have been lucky!

If you feel that using a previously created System Restore Point would fix the problem, by all means try it, but the chances of success are really very small.
However let us know how you go.

Most likely the "power outrage" has damaged the file structure of your machine, but the fact that it will still boot up into Windows is encouraging.

This might be a good time to check the location of your Microsoft windows XP installation disc and to make sure it has SP 2 included on it (it it hasn't then slipstream SP2 into a copy). Whilst doing this it would also be sensible to locate all your application discs/downloads and Product Licence keys for everything, no harm in being prepared!)

If you made a disc image as I recommended to you here in post 5:

http://forums.whatthetech.com/Registry_Pro…288#entry382288

using Acronis, Paragon, Ghost, Drive Image or similar disc imaging software you will bless the day you made it, as you can be up and running with a fresh image of your boot partition in about 15 minutes or so.

Otherwise, now would be a good time to check your backup/copy archive of all your important stuff (including drivers, data, photos, docs, emails, address book, favourites, music, settings, in fact everything that is on your machine and important to you) is safely backed up/copied/archived to removable media. It needs to be 100% up to date, accurate and reproducible, so even if it is a day or so out of date, it would be wise to attend to it now before doing anything else.

Try running chkdsk again but this time with the r switch, the f switch is implicit, do this first from within Windows if you can (it will need a restart) and see how you go. You may need to repeat this procedure up to 3 or 4 times so be prepared for a long wait!

If you still have no joy, then using your Microsoft XP installation Disc boot into the Recovery Console and try chkdsk /r from there.
Let us know how you go
Regards
paws
Thanks, Paws! I really haven't had Any problems, since you helped me speed everything up. Everything has been really slick. I make my own electricity with Photovoltaic and generator back-up. I was topping off my batteries when the glitch occurred and everything shut down. Surge protection is built into my inverter, but it was just one of those things…. Thanks to you and Acronis, everything is like it was. The boot CD was made last June, so I had to update some, and re-install all the newer stuff. I think I'll make a back-up every couple weeks from now on. Again, Thanks!
Chalk one score up for Paws and his relentless emphasis on sensible preparedness. Well done my friend. And well done to you too, Watcherduck.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI