This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Won't let me run Checkdisk and is being slow

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi there

Main reason I'm posting is because I went to go manually run Checkdisk to keep my computer up with maintenance, and I got a message saying that chkdsk is already scheduled to run on my harddrive and to please run Chkdsk /f

it's not even letting me analyze my harddrive and would like to get this resolved.

Also, my computer has been running slower than usual lately, and at times I can hear the harddrive and internal companants working overtime. Would like to get this resolved. I know a possible reason is due to little free harddrive space, but unfortunately till I get the money to buy either an external harddrive again since mine crashed, or to buy a new cd/dvd burner b/c mine rarely works… I'm stuck with what I free space I have.

Here's my hijackthis log, and thanks!

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 3:25:19, on 11/20/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16473)
Boot mode: Normal

O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe


Moved from Malware forum as log looks clean.
LDT
Lets start by having you Read these instructions and download ATF cleaner.
Follow the directions from the site.
Do you have an original copy of XP, or a recovery disc?
If you do not have an original XP disc do this;
Here is a link that you can download the recovery console to your desktop.
And here is a link that tells you how to make the disc.
This is used to repair your computer, using the proper utilitys.
Then do this;
How to run checkdisk from recovery console (Windows xp). (Courtesy dsenette)
1. Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
Note:Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
Note:If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
3. When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
4. At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following then press Enter:
chkdsk /r
5. Allow this to run UNDISTURBED until completed (45 min or so)
I know you are short on drive space, so you could download this to a flash (pen) drive and run it from there.

To see what is using space on your hard drive, use a program called SequoiaView. Gives you a great visual picture of what is using up drive space. Get it here: http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/. Before running SequoiaView, you should make all files and extensions visible. Do this by:

Control Panel / Folder Options / View Tab.
Select Show hidden files and folders.
Uncheck Hide extensions for known file types.
Uncheck Hide protected opeating system files [Recommended]

Also, in SequoiaView, click on View then Color and check Enable color scheme. Makes the displayed data much easier to read.

You don't have to install it if you download SequoiaView version 1.3 ziped, just unzip then run the Sequoia.exe file.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI