Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Security

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sleven

Sleven

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 05:31 AM

Hi all We have a question regarding restricting user downloads. We have set up this machine with an administrator and a user account. We don’t want the children to be able to download anything without our permission. In IE under tools - internet options - security - custom levels, we are able to disable downloads, but they are able to just go back in and change the setting back, even under the non-administrator account. Is there a way to disable all downloads using the administrators’ account (which is already password protected) that will apply to all users? Thanks

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 07:18 AM

Hi, This can be tricky!
When you say disable all downloads, this covers a lot of territory...... Each time you use a web browser (Internet Explorer Firefox etc) to visit a website you are downloading stuff.......do you want to stop this completely ie bar access to the Internet? e-mails etc

There's an easy way to sort this out...just ask the children not to do...and explain what it is you don' want them to do... :)

The slightly more difficult ways will need a bit of reading,,,,,,here's a place to start.
http://www.optimizin...eraccounts.html
There are software solutions available but you will still need to do the reading...
A lot of experts will say that to provide really effective security, access to the machine itself is high on the priority list of things to be addressed.
I would agree to that and add that if folks can get access to the machine a lot of protections can be circumvented by the knowledgable
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 01:45 PM

Hi Sleven,

Paws wrote:There's an easy way to sort this out...just ask the children not to do...and explain what it is you don' want them to do... :)

I totally agree with Paws on his advice to you. Training of the children is my priority with all aspects of raising the of children, if they do not conform, they would not get access to my computers....sorry, but fact in this home.

kind regards,

Edited by tallin, 31 October 2008 - 01:46 PM.

#4 Sleven

Sleven

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 06:11 PM

Thanks Paws and Tallin I think the link you gave me will do the trick, thanks. You are correct in saying that the easy way should be just to tell them not to download anything, but the "child" in question is 20 years old and has been ask on many occasions not to download files to no avail. Her mom owns the machine and uses it for her business. I'm stuck in the middle trying to keep the peace and sense denying the "child" access is almost impossible(5 different people use this machine), I just want to make it as hard for as possible to download anything while using IE. Thanks again for the reading material....

#5 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 07:14 PM

Hi Sleven,

Her mom owns the machine and uses it for her business. I'm stuck in the middle trying to keep the peace and sense denying the"child" access is almost impossible.

:thumbup: Your a brave man. :wavey:

Posted Image

Best regards,

Edited by tallin, 31 October 2008 - 07:16 PM.

#6 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 06:10 AM

Hi Sleven Here's a sugestion for you. When the machine is up and running, smooth sweet and fast, all junk removed, defragged and no viruses,or malicious code then take a disc image, verify it and keep it safe on removable media, take an extra copy as well and hide it safely (but don't forget where you put it!) In the event of serious trouble that cannot be fixed by the usual means in a timely manner then you can re image the disc and put he machine to the exact state it was in when you took the disc image, in the time it takes to walk the dog......you will then be the hero of the hour. Lets hope all the folks who use the machine back up their data..........regularly.... Post back if you need some suggestions on disc imaging software Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate