This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Motherboard Chipset

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have been wondering all the while, there are many kinds of chipsets on a motherboard, there are prices in difference too. I just want to know what factors that are put into consideration when purchasing a motherboard? i.e. I want to use it for mid-high gaming. However, there are also gaming motherboard, I can see it has more flexibility to overclock but what are the other advantages over the normal motherboard?

I have been wondering all the while, there are many kinds of chipsets on a motherboard, there are prices in difference too. I just want to know what factors that are put into consideration when purchasing a motherboard? i.e. I want to use it for mid-high gaming.

However, there are also gaming motherboard, I can see it has more flexibility to overclock but what are the other advantages over the normal motherboard?

Hello Conspire,
If you are really into gaming, you must focusing into SLI or crossfire board.
this can help you to built the rig like you want.

Flexibility means when the bios equipped with great features that allow you to overclock well.
Hi Conspire,

I do not agree with xixo_12 that you must get an SLI or Crossfire motherboard. I currently have a mid-high system with a motherboard that only has one PCI-Express x16 slot - and it runs fantastic. Of course, if you specifically want to run SLI or Crossfire, then yes you'll need one that supports it - but I would class this as a "very high" gaming system.

Generally, the advantages are more features. Often on a higher class motherboard, you'll find more I/O connections (USB, Firewire, dual-gigabit LAN, perhaps wireless LAN), as well as more internal connectors, like SATA ports, fan sensors, and the like.

Often you'll find they also include larger and more elaborate northbridge and southbridge heatsinks, which I personally really like. When you're running a gaming machine at full pelt, you want the peace of mind knowing you didn't skimp on parts, and your system is running nice and cool. Coupled with a decent case and fan setup, the chipset heatsinks will allow the hot air to be removed efficiently.

So to answer your question, you need to consider the uses you have for your computer. Then, determining which parts you want, and choosing the motherboard near to last, so as to ensure you can have a motherboard that is capable for your needs. This is usually how I select parts, always followed by the PSU last. This is to ensure that once I have everything I need, I am then able to calculate the PSU requirements.

Cheers, and feel free to ask any more questions if you have them.

Troy

I have been wondering all the while, there are many kinds of chipsets on a motherboard, there are prices in difference too. I just want to know what factors that are put into consideration when purchasing a motherboard? i.e. I want to use it for mid-high gaming.

However, there are also gaming motherboard, I can see it has more flexibility to overclock but what are the other advantages over the normal motherboard?

Hello Conspire,
If you are really into gaming, you must focusing into SLI or crossfire board.
this can help you to built the rig like you want.

Flexibility means when the bios equipped with great features that allow you to overclock well.

Thank you for your reply

Hi Conspire,

I do not agree with xixo_12 that you must get an SLI or Crossfire motherboard. I currently have a mid-high system with a motherboard that only has one PCI-Express x16 slot - and it runs fantastic. Of course, if you specifically want to run SLI or Crossfire, then yes you'll need one that supports it - but I would class this as a "very high" gaming system.

Generally, the advantages are more features. Often on a higher class motherboard, you'll find more I/O connections (USB, Firewire, dual-gigabit LAN, perhaps wireless LAN), as well as more internal connectors, like SATA ports, fan sensors, and the like.

Often you'll find they also include larger and more elaborate northbridge and southbridge heatsinks, which I personally really like. When you're running a gaming machine at full pelt, you want the peace of mind knowing you didn't skimp on parts, and your system is running nice and cool. Coupled with a decent case and fan setup, the chipset heatsinks will allow the hot air to be removed efficiently.

So to answer your question, you need to consider the uses you have for your computer. Then, determining which parts you want, and choosing the motherboard near to last, so as to ensure you can have a motherboard that is capable for your needs. This is usually how I select parts, always followed by the PSU last. This is to ensure that once I have everything I need, I am then able to calculate the PSU requirements.

Cheers, and feel free to ask any more questions if you have them.

Troy

Yeah, I would consider SLi and Crossfire a very high gaming system. But that's not what I need, what I need is just a mid-high range kind of system that supports ATI HD 4750 perhaps which I believe it's quite a decent graphic card. But one thing bothers me very long time is that what are the difference with these various kind of chipsets? Like Intel P43 bla bla bla….

I did some Google on it but I still don't understand what does it do or what are the advantages over the other chipset and so.

I shall add one question before I forget, in terms of performance, a gaming motherboard like the Asus Maximus II Formula for example what can it do over the normal motherboard? Forgive me if I'm asking the same question over again. :scratch:
Well first up, the Asus sure can turn your wallet into a drain! :wacko:

Feel free to check out the features here.

In terms of performance, a decent P45 chipset motherboard (what the Asus is) will perform the same.

Troy
I know I sure would! Any "new" motherboard you purchase now, that doesn't have PCI-Express 2.0, is "old" technology.

But the two are intercompatible, just for your future reference. :thumbup:

Troy

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI