This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

face plate?

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

hey friends! Please let me know what is the main advantage of motherboard face plate? someone asked me this question and i go blank :D
Hey MobileMania, A motherboard backplate / faceplate is there to keep dust out and it ensures that the motherboard is mounted properly. Other than that, it doesn't really do anything. Despite that, it is always advisable to use the backplate provided with the motherboard. I hope that answers your question. Nahumi

Please let me know what is the main advantage of motherboard face plate?

It is actually called an I/O shield.

Other than that, it doesn't really do anything.

Actually, that is not true. It also is there to ensure a common ground (Earth) is across all the many connectors found there. This ensures no "cross-talk" or interference is introduced into the various circuits. If you notice, this shield does not just have holes punched out, but also many tines or fingers that grip the various connectors. That is what makes the grounding connections.

Actually, that is not true. It also is there to ensure a common ground (Earth) is across all the many connectors found there. This ensures no "cross-talk" or interference is introduced into the various circuits. If you notice, this shield does not just have holes punched out, but also many tines or fingers that grip the various connectors. That is what makes the grounding connections.


Ah, thanks. I didn't know that. :blush:

I didn't know that.

If there is one thing I have learned over the years working computers, it is the more I learn, the more I learn there is to learn! ;)

i also thought it would be just part of the casing lol

Not really. The ATX Form Factor standard dictates the exact size and placement of the hole in the case, and the ATX Form Factor dictates the exact placement for the I/O group on the motherboard, but the motherboard maker can arrange all those I/O connections anywhere they want within that group. This is why whenever you buy a new motherboard, you get a new I/O shield for your case that lines up with all the ports on the motherboard.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI