This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

FireWire

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi guys,

recently a friend of mine suggested me to get Driver Detective to keep my drivers up to date, because I had the bad habit to never check if my drivers were up to date.
After scanning using Driver Detective, I found several drivers that needed an update. I did so, and installed everything that was missing or was out of date.
Everything works fine, except, my PC now freezes when I plug in my external HD Western Digital WD2500.
When I plug in the FireWire into the port, my PC recognizes the external HD and start scanning it to look for its content (like it always did before), but now it completely freezes "My Computer" folder.

I don't know what to do. Someone suggested me to go to the Device Manager and disable the port, then enable it again. But I have no clue where my FireWire port is listed on the Device Manage.

Anyone can help me?

Thanks in advance for your time

I attached a screen shot of my Device manager just in case.

[external image: Posted Image]
:welcome: LuigiLA,

There is so much to browse, read and learn here, we hope you enjoy the forum.

Your friend in my opinion did not do you any favors in suggesting Driver Detective to you. We always recommend you download and install Drivers from your Manufacturers website, there, they are free, and with Driver Detective you would have paid in my experience.

Were you having driver problems with your computer? If not we have a saying here about life with computers, "if it ain't broke don't be fixing it". Myself, I let my computer tell me itself if it has a problem with drivers, and only then do I go to the Manufacturers website to find the update driver for my immediate needs.

Another tip I would give you is never download and install drivers suggested from your Windows Update link, I myself years ago had that experience too, my computer froze as the drivers suggested through the WU link were incorrect. I uninstalled them and all was well.

Regarding your computer freezing as you describe, I would uninstall the relevant driver that is causing the problem, reboot and I am sure you will find all is fine again with your system.

How are you Windows Updates set:
  • Start
  • Control Panel
  • Automatic Updates
I have mine turned off, but I do not necessarily advise that, I am strict about going in at the end of the second week of any month to see what patches are relevant for my machines. I would advise you however to set them to

  • Notify me, but don't automatically download and install them
then you are in charge of what is installed from the WU link monthly.

Post back with how you are progressing and ask any other questions you may want assistance with.

kind regards,

But I have no clue where my FireWire port is listed on the Device Manage.

Anyone can help me?

hello ,the 1394 bus host controller at the top is the firewire port ,right click on it to uninstall and reboot computer

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI