This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Safely remove hard drive?

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have a comcast cable modem and use windows home vista. I also have a netgear wireless router. my CPU is a Gateway GM5472. I'm using Panda Cloud anti-virus. I have two cd/dvd drives. a SD card drive, RCA jacks, Front USB ports, and several other card drives.

I have several hardware issues and it has been confirmed here that is not malware:
http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?sh…=k7t7&st=15

The issues are:

*My SD card reader is only reading certain SD cards and it worked fine before.

* I can no longer burn DVDs as it shuts down during the encoding process.

* I have a safely remove hardware notification in my notification area. It's asking me if I want to remove my hard drive. I have a WDC WD50 00AAKS-22TMA SCSI Disc drive.


Thank you in advance for your help. Sincerely,

Kevin Taylor
Sounds like you have some corruption, not sure if the following will help, but it's a starting point at least, to begin with uninstall you're burning software, I suggest using Revo for uninstalling (free version is fine), it removes a lot of left over items usually left behind, also uninstall any driver (if applicable) for the card reader, next go into the device manager and uninstall the card reader (assuming it still shows), to do this expand the entry and right click on it, then select uninstall, repeat with the optical drives, reject any prompts to reboot.

Now run some junk file cleaners, I use more than one as the others get bits the others miss, I suggest Disk Cleaner and CCleaner (take note of the check boxes and uncheck anything you do not want like Google Chrome), run these then reboot, and allow the system to auto install them again, if the card reader has it's own driver install that yourself, then install the burning software again, with luck it will get these working again, if not we need to know what OS you're using, and if you have any repair disks for it.

When using Revo it will launch the programs own uninstaller first, sometimes this will ask to reboot before Revo has had a chance to do it's job, I say No to any reboot requests and then move on with Revo to get the stuff left behind (more often than not anyway), this may well ask for a reboot as well, I suggest completing all this before allowing the system to reboot.

Forgot to say, the safe remove for the drive is nothing to worry about, at least I've seen it on systems before, can't explain why, but it simply sees it as a removable device, needless to say do not remove it if it's you're OS drive.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI