This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Usb Ports/external Hard Drive Not Working?

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I moved recently and when I re-set up my computer, I cannot plug in my camera and my external hard drive isn't recognized by my system. I have run Spybot, Ad Aware, ATF cleaner and my AVG software and followed all of their instructions. I have tried multiple ports in order to use these things with no luck. Is there something (virsu, malware, etc.) that may have disabled my ports? Should you have a look at my Hijack this log?

I moved recently and when I re-set up my computer, I cannot plug in my camera and my external hard drive isn't recognized by my system.

I have run Spybot, Ad Aware, ATF cleaner and my AVG software and followed all of their instructions.

I have tried multiple ports in order to use these things with no luck. Is there something (virsu, malware, etc.) that may have disabled my ports?

Should you have a look at my Hijack this log?


Hi,

try right clicking my computer and clicking 'manage'. See how big your HD is,e.g 40gb
and look for it under 'Disk Management'. If you find it, you'll neeed to right click it and assign it a drive letter, e.g Drive 'D'


Hope this helps,


'Bob
Since you mention the failure of two separate types of USB connected peripherals (camera and external harddrive) it is most likely that the USB (Universal Serial Bus Controllers) drivers have become corrupted. Check for yellow or red warnings in Device Manager under the USB items. If there are yellow or red warnings, then Remove the specific item and reboot. Windows will then "Find new Hardware" and "install drivers for new hardware". Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI