This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Whas I a near victim?

7 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I hear in every windows update that they have fixed a problem with "authenticating the updater" or something. Well just yesterday my computer supposedly had 9 updates ready even though a week before I went to Update.Microsoft.com and got all of the updates. I clicked install and then saw that it was installing Windows Malware Remover and a bunch of other stuff I have never heard of, so I quickly canceled. I was just wondering, were those real updates? I guess I can go back to update.microsoft.com to see if their still there, but if there fake, which I think they were, how can I prevent them in the future? If they just give the viruses more windows-like names I won't hesitate to download them again. Everything about them looked just like a real windows update. Only because it said 9 were ready at once and I've never heard of windows making 9 updates in one day, did I think it was fake. EDIT: I'm almost definite it was fake now, this is the only windows update that comes from the Microsoft site. Security Update for Windows XP (KB956841) Download size: 0 KB , 0 minutes (Downloaded; ready to install) A security issue has been identified that could allow an authenticated local attacker to compromise your Microsoft Windows-based system and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. So does anyone know how I can prevent these or spot these hackers? I was spared by luck that I noticed it said 9 updates.
It was real so don't panic. I have 12 updates waiting. Read about Patch Tuesday for an understanding of what happened yesterday.

BTW, I never apply any of those updates right away. I always wait 3 or 4 days and listen for fallout from the early and automatic appliers. If you keep your systems updated otherwise, and you are careful about where you go on the Internet and what you open and download, you can safely wait that long.

There is an email notification you can get from Microsoft that tells you what's coming. I'll see if I can find it.
Ok thank you so much. But I searched the KB #s for one of them and nothing came up on the Microsoft Website. The Windows Malware KB# did come up and had a bunch of info. But I tried one of the four "Windows Security Updates" and Microsoft website said there was no info.

Also 2 updates were Microsoft Office 2002 security issues, I don't even think I have office 2002, did you get those ones too?

But thanks for veryfing that it's not harmful. But just to make sure here's 2 screenshots of all the updates, can you just check and make sure they don't look suspcious? Also why don't the KB#s come up on the Microsoft Website?

[external image: Posted Image]
[external image: Posted Image]
Hi Vectris,

No, you were not a victim of rogue Windows Updates.

I have mine turned off for this reason Windows Secrets Newsletter 14th August 2008 Scroll well down to this heading

You'll get a new Windows Update, like it or not

For me on this PC there were 9 updates yesterday when I went into Microsoft Updates

I always use Custom, so I am in charge of what comes to my computers.

The updates were as follows

  • KB890830 MSR TOOL
  • KB954211 WXP
  • KB956391 Active X
  • KB956803 WXP
  • KB956841 WXP
  • KB957095 WXP
  • KB956390 IE6.0
  • KB955468 Excel Viewer
  • KB949041 Power Point
All downloaded and installed perfectly on this PC, and although they were a little different for my Laptop, again there was no trouble with installing and downloading all 7 critical updates for it.

I hope this post is of some help to you, if you make sure you only go into the genuine Windows or Microsoft Update site, choose Custom, you cannot go wrong in my opinion regarding WU every second Tuesday of each month.

Keep us posted how you go.

kind regards, :thumbup:
Thanks tallin. And I use custom to, it's the best, that way I can avoid getting windows messenger and the desktop search bar (which i despise ). I guess I'll go ahead and update all my computers but my only questions are: 1. Why can't I find the KB#s on the Microsoft Website? and 2. Why are there so many "Security Update for Windows", if they release them all on the same day, why not just put them all into one? Also I found out all my computers do have Microsoft Office 2002, so it's normal that they are getting that. Thanks for the responses and to anyone who can answer my two questions.
Yep, I received the same updates too and it worked fine. Vectris, I'm not sure about the first question, if you meant like all the updates in one index page in Microsoft… I just wanted to add that, when you encounter that message like, 0 minutes 0KB, ready to download, it means that the update has been downloaded already. Just a anecdote.

Thanks tallin. And I use custom to, it's the best, that way I can avoid getting windows messenger and the desktop search bar (which i despise ).
I guess I'll go ahead and update all my computers but my only questions are:
1. Why can't I find the KB#s on the Microsoft Website?
and
2. Why are there so many "Security Update for Windows", if they release them all on the same day, why not just put them all into one?
Also I found out all my computers do have Microsoft Office 2002, so it's normal that they are getting that. Thanks for the responses and to anyone who can answer my two questions.

Hi Vectris,

Do you mean you can't see the KB numbers after you access the Windows Update link and select Custom? If you can't, then how would you know what you are going to download and install?

Regarding your second question, you would need to ask Microsoft that question as only they would know the answer to it. I am just grateful there are some to keep us well in advance of the nasties out there.

kind regards,

Do you mean you can't see the KB numbers after you access the Windows Update link and select Custom? If you can't, then how would you know what you are going to download and install?


No I mean that if I go to the Microsoft Website and run a search for KBXXXXXX, nothing comes up for some of the Windows Secuirty Updates. If I type in KBXXXXX with the numbers of the Malware Remover, stuff comes up. But I was wondering why Microsoft didn't have the Windows Security Updates on their website.

No I mean that if I go to the Microsoft Website and run a search for KBXXXXXX, nothing comes up for some of the Windows Secuirty Updates. If I type in KBXXXXX with the numbers of the Malware Remover, stuff comes up. But I was wondering why Microsoft didn't have the Windows Security Updates on their website.

Vectris,

Why would you want to manually update your patches when you can go to the correct WU link, click custom and go from there.

Personally I can't understand why you fiddle with your settings so much that seems to get you into trouble as in this link. :unsure: "If it ain't broke don't be fixing it". :smack:

Cool the desire to correct settings if your system is working to speed.

kind regards,

Why would you want to manually update your patches when you can go to the correct WU link, click custom and go from there.


I most certainly don't, I don't even think it's possible to manually update. This post was on topic with False Security Updates, so my reason for checking the KB#s on the Microsoft Website was to make sure that they were real. When Microsoft turned up nothing on the updates, it made me even more suspsicious.

Also ya I do get myself into trouble a lot :smack:, but I wanted Windows Messenger removed in that post and I had the right way, I just did it wrong.

@Digerati

Specifically, which ones?

Actually I checked them all and none of them came up. None of the Security Updates for Windows that is, the malware remover KB number came up fine. Perhaps I'm not looking in the right place? I'm just going to Microsoft.com and searching the "KBXXX" for the update. I thought Microsoft had a page for every update…
The internet's most useful tool, Google ;)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956391
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956390
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details…;displaylang=en
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details…;displaylang=en
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/954211
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956803
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956841
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957095
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/890830

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI