This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Multiple beeps at startup

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hey, I'm posting this message at multiple forums as I need as much answers as possible before tomorrow. 3 months ago, I bought a new computer. I've paid 700 euros for it. When starting, it gave 3 beeps instead of 1. I thought it was normal (new computer, come on) so I ignored it. After using it for one month, the first BSOD occured. Also, sometimes the computer just freezes. With "freezes" I mean that it doesn't react anymore; the mouse/keyboard stopped working, no more sound, etc; just nothing. The only thing I could do was a reset. After the first BSOD, some more occured. Then I decided to install Ubuntu for school. When installing it, there were 3 beeps and one longer when starting. After several restarts it was back to normal. One week later, there were 4!! beeps at startup. 3 minutes after it started, a new BSOD occured (I had a total of like 5-6 BSOD's). I asked people on MSN and they linked me to Bioscentral. On their website, it says 3 beeps, 4 beeps and the 3 beeps and 1 longer one are related to memory problems. The BSOD's (I've posted them on this forum to read the dump files). also told me something about memory. Some days later my computer rebooted by itself. No BSOD or something. When starting, there was no POST (so no beeps) and the keyboard didn't work until I resetted. I was pissed off so I called the store and bought it back some days later. It would only take 2 days. One week later, they finally started testing it (busy period or something) and called me their standard tests couldn't find anything, so I've sent them the BSOD-logs and more information via e-mail. One week later, they told me they did memtest, checked the motherboard on stability, tested the power supply and replaced almost every part (exept the motherboard). They told me 3 beeps at startup could be normal. Ofcourse I couldn't agree with that, so they continued testing. Today they called me for telling me I can get my computer back tomorrow as there is nothing wrong with it. I asked them if they replaced the motherboard, but they don't want to do that. "We can't replace anything wich we aren't sure it's broken". Fools, they told me the memory and power supply was replaced without any signments of broken things. They just REFUSE to replace it and yes, they know the motherboard gives the beeps. To make a long story short: they say that 3 beeps at startup are normal. The 4 beeps (don't forget the BSOD) and the 3 beeps with one longer should be normal too. I don't want to get my computer back if it isn't repaired. If anyone has any idea's wich things could cause this problem or has any idea if these 3 beeps COULD even be normal, it would be very appreciated. OS: Vista Home Premium BIOS: AMI Motherboard: MSI AMD 790X Chipset based K9A2 CF Thank you very much if anyone could help me.

I'm posting this message at multiple forums as I need as much answers as possible before tomorrow.

Hi Bv202. While I appreciate you telling us this, please understand that posting the same problem in more than one forum is considered poor forum etiquette and is frowned upon. It is like telling everyone that you are more important than every one else, so everyone get in line behind you. It is like sending your herd of kids to stand in all the checkout lines at a busy grocery so you can check out ahead of everyone else who has been waiting longer. It monopolizes "volunteer" resources. And finally, it can, and often does result in conflicting advice to you, and confusing results for providers who are unaware of other suggestions.

If in a few days, you get no help from the other forums, we can take a look.

In the meantime, my suggestion is to work your way up the food chain and contact the store manager and complain nicely. Getting mad will just trigger his defenses. If you need this computer immediately, check your local phone book and hire an IT expert - some will take emergency/short notice jobs if the repair of your computer really is more important.



Thanks.
Bv202,

With this 'Store' you purchased the system from, demand they execute the mandatory warranty on the Computer.

Wherever you live, isn't there a Department of Consumer Affairs to protect a customer from lack of service after purchase.

Good luck,

kind regards,
Hi Bv202
As you seem to have received a response from here:
http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/759083-…ter-normal.html
and some good suggestions from this forum, the only point I would make is that if you decide to flash the bios, then make sure you are familiar with the complete procedure, follow all the instructions, and do not proceed with this unless you have a servicable UPS…..a power cut in the middle of the procedure could otherwise render your machine unbootable.
Regards
paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI