This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Parallel install XP or Dual boot instead?

13 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have Windows XP Home SP2 on a machine about 6-7 years old that I built. Everything (MB & processor, Vid card, power supply) has been replaced once except for the RAM sticks, which are Kingston 1GB and the HD, 120GB WD Caviar.

The initial problem began with an infection from XP Antispyware 2009, and I presented my problem to Spyware Beware! in this link with a Hijackthis log. http://forums.maddoktor2.com/index.php?showtopic=13415
I deleted everything I was told to, but it did not fix. It was at a point where if I was in SafeMode I couldn't do anything without getting a BSOD and the error message said "The video driver failed to initialize"' MrCharlie asked me to then post over here as he thought I had a Windows issue.

I decided to install XP Home on my D: drive which went well. As a side note the D: was too small and after the install I had to resize my D: drive with VCOM Partition Commander and all went well with that too.

I have updated the new XP to SP3 and installed AVG Free Edition, and it all seems to run fine on D:. I can get on the internet, everything seems to work but now I can not access the old User Accounts on C: , or the old email accounts, etc.

So my questions are:
Should I try to get the video driver problem fixed on C:, and how would I do that?
If I parallel installed XP on C: would I be able to access the old accounts?
How could I get rid of XPAntispyware2009 from C: ?

Thanks
Kent

I deleted everything I was told to, but it did not fix. It was at a point where if I was in SafeMode I couldn't do anything without getting a BSOD and the error message said "The video driver failed to initialize"' .

Weird though, if that *were* correct, then you would not get to Safe Mode at all. Did you try "Safe Mode with Networking" as well ?

I have updated the new XP to SP3 and installed AVG Free Edition, and it all seems to run fine on D:. I can get on the internet, everything seems to work but now I can not access the old User Accounts on C: , or the old email accounts, etc.

If they were created "make my files private" then no, you'd have to "take ownership" of those files, and since this is XP-HE, you'd have to do that in Safe Mode(booting to the D install,) Administrator account, to be able to access the "security" tab. [-advanced- button, then -ownership- tab.] Don't forget to apply the changes to all files and folders…….IMPORTANT NOTE….doing this will not allow the user accout access on the C: drive OS until "ownership" of those files are returned to that user. [boot into safe mode Admin account and "add" the old user if it is not in the list.]

Should I try to get the video driver problem fixed on C:, and how would I do that?

do you have onboard video or an add-on video card ? [or both?] Do you have a Parallel port ? [you could copy vga.drv and vga.dll from your d:\windows\system32 directory to the same place on C: ] in case those files are corrupt. if that doesn't work we can add the /basevideo switch to the boot.ini and force it to try the most basic video drivers.]

If I parallel installed XP on C: would I be able to access the old accounts?

Yes, but "windows" would not know about any "programs" you have installed, so the only shortcuts that will work are "stand-alone" programs that do not use any windows resources for their operation. The same will be true if you try to use it on D:. copying the My Docs folder from within the old user to the D: My Docs folder will give you all your docs, though you will have to re-install the client programs that run them, like MS Office, Word Perfect etc…..

How could I get rid of XPAntispyware2009 from C: ?

go back to the malware section. wer're not allowed to offer such assistance here.

Tallon41

Weird though, if that *were* correct, then you would not get to Safe Mode at all. Did you try "Safe Mode with Networking" as well


I'll try that again, maybe I recall it incorrectly…

If they were created "make my files private" then no, you'd have to "take ownership" of those files, and since this is XP-HE, you'd have to do that in Safe Mode(booting to the D install,) Administrator account, to be able to access the "security" tab. [-advanced- button, then -ownership- tab.] Don't forget to apply the changes to all files and folders…….IMPORTANT NOTE….doing this will not allow the user accout access on the C: drive OS until "ownership" of those files are returned to that user. [boot into safe mode Admin account and "add" the old user if it is not in the list.]


I'll try the above tonight and see if I can get to the accounts.

Do you have a Parallel port ? [you could copy vga.drv and vga.dll from your d:\windows\system32 directory to the same place on C: ] in case those files are corrupt. if that doesn't work we can add the /basevideo switch to the boot.ini and force it to try the most basic video drivers.]

I have a vid card with a parallel port, and I'll try the above tonight.


Yes, but "windows" would not know about any "programs" you have installed, so the only shortcuts that will work are "stand-alone" programs that do not really windows resources for their operation. The same will be true if you try to use it on D:. copying the My Docs folder from within the old user to the D: My Docs folder will give you all your docs, though you will have to re-install the client programs that run them, like MS Office, Word Perfect etc…..


I understand about needing to reload programs on D:, and the stand-alone programs being able to work. My big worry is getting the files retreived from C:, Alas , now I learn why I need backups, lol


go back to the malware section. wer're not allowed to offer such assistance here.


I'll check it out before I try the above actions.
Thank you Tallon41

Tallon41

Before trying the above tips I decided to run a scan on C: with AVG free and Malwarebytes, (from the D: drive programs) I was able to get the XP on C: to start without a BSOD, then I got a message to insert the Windows XP disc in the cd drive and it then began to re-install Windows. It took about 20 minutes to re-install with the only glitch being a driver it could not find, so I had it take it from the second OS on D: drive, no problem. It finished, rebooted and I got my old desktop. That's all I could do this morning. Well since my initial goal was to just get to a point where I can get my old files off C, I'll try to do that, scanning them as I go. Once I'm happy I have everything I would like to format and clean C: totally, just wipe it out and move the space to my D drive. Does that sound like a good plan? I'm going to get a different firewall than windows, and a few more spyware programs running too. wow do I notice a speed difference from the new install on D: and the old one on C: . Thanks for your help, I'll write back with results in a few days. I'll run another HJT and post it next time too.

Well since my initial goal was to just get to a point where I can get my old files off C, I'll try to do that, scanning them as I go. Once I'm happy I have everything I would like to format and clean C: totally, just wipe it out and move the space to my D drive. Does that sound like a good plan?

Yes it does, and I'm glad you ran the scans. One note though. If you already ran a scan of the entire C: drive, then you have already scanned your files…true ?

wow do I notice a speed difference from the new install on D: and the old one on C: .

Yeah, this is normal. Obtaining a Registry clean-up and compacting tool will help keep your Registry from getting bloated as you add and delete programs from your system.

Tallon41

[EDIT: I wish to add, in regard to Registry cleaning tools; there are quite a few that are not helpful. Personally I've not encountered one that did both well, and so I use a seperate tool for cleaning, and defragging(compacting.) I understand that it is a policy of this site not to encourage the use of these tools, and I can appreciate that, given the dubious performance of some I've seen. As always "buyer beware." Thank you for your attention ]
I got all the files I need transferred over to D: and then right clicked the C: drive to do a Format. It seemed to run for twenty minutes and then I had a message that it could not complete the format. How can I wipe the C: drive totally clean? Edit: I checked the Microsoft support site and think I can do this with Disk Management, and format the C drive? Will this work?
wow…THAT's not good. when you look at the drive in Disk management, does it indicate the drive is formatted ? If it is not, it won't even have a drive letter assigned. If it does, run CHKDSK C: /R on it. You could try a Hard drive diagnostic tool and "write Zeros" to the drive, then attempt to format it again. Tallon41
My drive is one physical unit, and is set up in one partition with C: as the main System drive and then logical drives D:, E:, F:, and G:. Previously I booted from the XP CD and I ran the Repair option on C:. Can I do a new clean XP install on C: without losing the logical drives that now have all my files? Also I can get XP on C: loaded, but it is SP1a. The XP on C: needs Microsoft Update to get the newer XP Service Packs, but I can't get Update installed, it won't download. So that keeps me from getting the new service packs or anything. I don't know if I should worry about that as in the end I just want C: cleaned out, if it's possible. I'd like to try anything….

My drive is one physical unit, and is set up in one partition with C: as the main System drive and then logical drives D:, E:, F:, and G:.

ok then you'd not want to write zeros to it, you'd lose everything.

Can I do a new clean XP install on C: without losing the logical drives that now have all my files?

Yes. Provided there is sufficent space you can install windows to any partition, (preferably NTFS,) you would need a boot manager to boot more than one partition on a single drive, as only one Primary partition can be bootable or 'active'. With XP this is done by editing the boot.ini file. Point is, that you will initially lose the ability to boot to the D drive until you edit the boot.ini file on your fresh c: install to reflect there is an OS there. If you don't care about booting to D: anymore, then this is not an issue

sample boot.ini file: assumes c: is the FIRST partition on the disk, (some systems have a small recovery partition in front of C: which would change the 1's below to 2's )

boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
D:\ = "Microsoft Windows XP PRO "


Also I can get XP on C: loaded, but it is SP1a. The XP on C: needs Microsoft Update to get the newer XP Service Packs, but I can't get Update installed, it won't download. So that keeps me from getting the new service packs or anything. I don't know if I should worry about that as in the end I just want C: cleaned out, if it's possible.

there are MS downloads out there for SP2, but you do not have to use WU to get it.

http://www.download3k.com/DownloadLink1-Windows-XP-SP2.html it downloads from MS, but not from WU. It's a stand-alone executable file, once you 'save' it, you can copy it to any 32-bit XP PC and apply it.

Tallon41
OK I was worried if I did a clean install on C that it would wipe out my logical drives because they are on the same partition. If I understand correctly this won't happen? So I'll do a clean install with my XP cd on C; (before I was just doing a Repair). Then check the boot.ini and add D on there, right? I think once I do that MU should be able to download. I don't think it wants to download now because C: could still be messed up a bit…..then proceed with XP updates and loading anti-virus, malware, and firewall programs. On D: I'm running AVG Free Edition, Comodo Firewall Pro and BoClean. I have Malwarebytes program in a folder to run manually when I need to, oh also I have CCleaner also. I think I should be squared away soon. I'll put those programs on C, and then repartition it to move a lot of those unused GB's over to D. How does that sound to you Tallon41? Thanks ! Kent

OK I was worried if I did a clean install on C that it would wipe out my logical drives because they are on the same partition. If I understand correctly this won't happen?

there's 2 kinds of partitions, primary and extended. when you first created C: it became primary, any created after that go into 1 'extended' partition which can have 1 or more Logical drives. When you do the reinstall, Windows should present you with ALL of your volume drive letters as possible Installation destinations. You would only need to be extremely carefull if you began deleting and recreating partitions during the install.

So I'll do a clean install with my XP cd on C; (before I was just doing a Repair). Then check the boot.ini and add D on there, right?

right
Start — right-click "my computer", choose -properties-, then when "system properties" opens, choose the -advanced- tab.
In the "startup and recovery" section, click the -settings- button, when "startup and recovery" opens, click the "edit" button.
Now you can make changes to the boot.ini file…..otherwise you have to boot to another OS….and you can't GET to it, until you add it ! lol.
btw you can lower the "timeout" value to say 5 seconds…..30 is too many really.

On D: I'm running AVG Free Edition, Comodo Firewall Pro and BoClean. I have Malwarebytes program in a folder to run manually when I need to, oh also I have CCleaner also. I think I should be squared away soon. I'll put those programs on C, and then repartition it to move a lot of those unused GB's over to D.

I would burn a copy of your user files to DVD or CD, or copy to another hard drive before attempting work on both partitions at the same time. If something were to happen, it might hose BOTH of them…..just a thought.

Tallon41
When I boot into D: this is what the boot file looks like: [boot loader] timeout=5 default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS [operating systems] multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect After I clean install XP on C, can I just copy this to the C boot file?
XP Install should detect the copy on your D: drive and add it to boot.ini on the C: drive. The only difference will be that the order will be reversed and the multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" will be the default.
Thanks Ztruker. Can I change what is in the quote marks? Can I call partition 1 "Windows XP C drive" and the other "Windows XP D drive" ? I would like it to default to booting into D drive for now, how can I do that? I also need to clear up the drive explanation I gave above. I have two partitions, not one; C: is primary, and the other drives are logical on the extended partition. I haven't done a clean install on C: yet, probably will wait until this weekend.
Yes, you can put whatever you want between the double quotation marks and it will be reflected in the boot selection menu.

To make D: the default XP boot, change the default= value to:

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS

Your partition setup should not be a problem, but as in all cases where you are going to reinstall XP, be it a parallel, repair or clean install, make sure you have your important data backed up. That way there is no chance of Murphy giving you any greif.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI