This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Win XP will not boot in regular or safe mode

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have recently removed XPSpyware 2009 from my HD and have some how run into trouble in booting my computer. When I discovered the spyware on my computer, I tried to manually remove it without a lot of success. I enlisted the help from another forum that was very helpful in getting the spyware removed. However, once the spyware was completely removed, my computer would not boot in regular mode. I could boot in safe mode. The tech tried to help me by having me run the repair setup. As my luck would have it, I still cannot boot in regular mode, I now receive some kind of critical message (it flashes on and off the screen too fast to read), and I cannot boot in safe mode due to the repair setup because it will not run in safe mode and it wants to finish its repair on the loading of windows. The tech suggested this site might be able to help with the windows problem.

I am currently running my computer with a small clean HD as the Master and the original HD as the primary Slave which I can access completely. I have installed my Windows XP on the clean HD. My current system looks like this,

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
Activation Status Activation Pending (21 days remaining)
System Name HOME
System Manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer INC.
System Model A7N8X2.0
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 1 AuthenticAMD ~2162 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS A7N8X2.0 Deluxe ACPI BIOS Rev 1005, 5/14/2003
SMBIOS Version 2.2
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\System32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)"

This is the link to the forum where I got the help in removing the Maleware. Click here!

I am looking for some help in recovering my original HD without having to reformat and start over.
Hello, I do not know what has been done to your computer up to this point. A repair installation would wipe out all of your data. If you are lucky your data is still there because the repair installation has not completed. Or I am not understanding what has happened. If your data is still there I recommend that you copy it to a flash drive or disc before you do anything else! You can do this by accessing the secondary drive while windows is running from the primary drive. After you retrieve your data I would recommend that you go ahead and reinstall Windows, install your programs, and restore your data. This way you will not have any errors from the infection, or what was done to cause the issue.
Hey :)

Just some thoughts and a possible solution.

Have you tried boot the PC with the help from your Windows CD?

You might want to have another go at repairing your OS. But I still
would take the advice of backing up data if possible.

Now, repairing through the recovery console, is normally something
I avoid at all cost if possible. Skipping the first option to repair, will
sent you on with the installation guide, and a second option for repair
will appear. This repair won't wipe any data, except for MS updates, which
would need to be re-installed.

Heres a step-by-step guide how to carry it out.

Windows XP repair guide

Don't mind it says repair for XP pro., it will work just as well on a Home edition.

Regards Abydos
Yes, I have tried using the repairing through the installation guide twice. That is one of the last things the tech had me do. However, I am not opposed to trying it a third time. I have a feeling, since I am still able to access the HD as a slave, that I have some kind of file or something that is either corrupted or missing and will not allow windows to boot. However, I still have the problem of the last repair wanting to finish on the reload of the last repair. Is there some way I can kill this program with out damage to the HD? Neo

Yes, I have tried using the repairing through the installation guide twice. That is one of the last things the tech had me do. However, I am not opposed to trying it a third time.

I have a feeling, since I am still able to access the HD as a slave, that I have some kind of file or something that is either corrupted or missing and will not allow windows to boot. However, I still have the problem of the last repair wanting to finish on the reload of the last repair. Is there some way I can kill this program with out damage to the HD?

Neo


Hey

Have you made back-up of your data, while the HD was installed as slave??
Thats important, if you have anything valueable on it. Pictures, work etc.

If a repair doesn't yield any results, I'm afraid its somewhat out of my league so to speak.
It might be possible to boot the HD from a Linux CD, but another techie have to answer
that, as I am quite a novice in that regard.

Regards Abydos

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI