This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Resolved] Wireless and LAN Internet: Always have "Limited o

8 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

All done, but still getting the limited/no connection problem.

Can you still access the internet?
Have you tried disabling the wireless connection and connecting with a wired connection?
Yeah, I've tried connecting to the router as well after disabling wireless, but that also gave me a limited/no connection. After I thought something had gone wrong (because the computer was PAINFULLY slow, and completely unusable), I tried running scans in safe mode w/ spyware doctor and avg; those found nothing. Then tried again in normal mode – to try and make computer faster I just basically unchecked all (almost all) of the startup items in msconfig and I think it was after that when the internet started messing up. I rechecked everything on the startup items but the problem remained.
I cannot on the laptop I have been having problems with. Since I "connected" to the wireless 27 minutes ago, in the Wireless Network Connection Status box (the popup from when I double click the internet connection button in the bottom right), it has sent 6 packets/received 0. Whenever I try to load Mozilla, I get the address not found error that says Firefox cannot find the server. I've been accessing the internet by using our other desktop computer.
Enter your Control Panel and double-click on Network Connections

Then right click on your Default Connection
Usually Local Area Connection for Cable and DSL
Left click on Properties
Double-Click on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) item
Select the radio dial that says Obtain DNS Servers Automatically
Press OK twice to get out of the properties screen and reboot if it asks

If that didn't work try the next.


Try freshening up your IP and clearing your DNS

Start - Run - (type)cmd
this will bring up a DOS Box display with a blinking cursor

At the blinking cursor type the following commands in sequence, waiting for the procedures to complete before entering the next command:

ipconfig /release - enter <– notice the required space before the "/"
ipconfig /renew - enter <– notice the required space before the "/"
ipconfig /flushDNS - enter <– notice the required space before the "/"

(Each of the above ipconfig steps may take from a few seconds to a minute or so to complete.
Wait for the blinking cursor to return before moving on to typing the next command.)

Then type in Exit tap enter.

Reboot and see if that helped.
We've reached my limits.
Your log is clean but it's very important you do this;

  • Click START then RUN
  • Now type Combofix /u in the runbox and click OK. Note the space between the X and the U, it needs to be there.

    • [external image: Posted Image]

    Only after doing the above, go back to where the Tech Team was trying to help and see if they have any new ideas.
OK, first off, thank you very much for your time and help so far. I have one more question: I've also been just thinking of reinstalling Windows perhaps with Reinstallation CD – the only data I really care to back up would be my music files. Would this actually clean out almost everything I've installed over the past couple years? I'd actually like to clean everything out because, again, there's nothing very important to me anymore on the computer. Thanks again for everything.

I've also been just thinking of reinstalling Windows perhaps with Reinstallation CD – the only data I really care to back up would be my music files. Would this actually clean out almost everything I've installed over the past couple years?

Yes unless your music files were infected.

Before a re-install, I would try uninstall the network cards first, reboot and let windows re-install them. It could be a driver issue with the cards.
OK, and to do that I just go into Device Manager and select the network cards and then choose uninstall driver? Then reboot and put in Reinstall CD to reinstall the drivers?

OK, and to do that I just go into Device Manager and select the network cards and then choose uninstall driver? Then reboot and put in Reinstall CD to reinstall the drivers?

go into Device Manager and select the network cards and then choose uninstall the cards and reboot. Windows should pop-up saying it found new hardware. If it can't find the driver for it, it will ask for the cd.
Since this issue appears to be resolved … this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance. If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI