This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

moving a folder using dos

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am running win XP and I can't load windows at all. I have 2 hard drives installed and I would like to move my, my documents folder fromm my c: drive to my second hard drive which is d:. Does any one here know if I can do this through dos. I want to just reformat but I would like to save the my documents folder if possible. If any one can please walk me through on how to load up dos and move my files to my second hard drive. Thanks for the hellp!
:welcome: lilv,

Good to see you have found WTT.

If you can't

I am running win XP and I can't load windows at all.

are you posting this enquiry from another computer?

I would back up your My Documents folder with one or other of the links in answer to your question. Why not backup your whole system while you are about it?

If you would like image software to do this, I recommend both Ghost and Acronis as I run both on systems I own. You already have the two Hard Drives, is one of them external being the safest way in my opinion to execute an image backup.

Keep us posted and ask any other questions.

kind regards,
Here's what happened. I got some malware, the go.google redirect, and I tried fixin it with combofix and my comp froze when I was removing the malware. When I tried to restart my comp windows would not load in any mode. I tried last known working and safe modes with no luck. I tried to use repair with the windows xp cd and now I get a blue screen when I try to load up windows. Saying my video card isn't supported. I can not load windows in any modes. I am to the point I just want to reformat and start fresh. But I want to save the my documents folder if I can. Is there any way I can do this though dos and how do I get to dos to do this? Right now I am using my blackberry to post on the forums. Thanks for all the help!
Hi lilv,

Well that is unfortunate that you used 'tools' that should have been used under supervision on the Malware forum.

Please keep the above link for when your system is resurrected by a much more Senior Staff Member whom I have contacted to step in to help you. This staff member is off line at the moment, and is going into their night time, so please be patient until they reply to your thread.

Best regards,
You won't be able to do anything through DOS since it does not support the NTFS file system.

Try booting a Linux "Live" CD like Puppy Linux or one of the other bootable CD packages like EBCD, UBCD or best of all, UBCD4WIN. See if you can access hard drive that way. If yes then you can offload the data to CD, DVD or a flash drive.

See this post by Happyrck on GeeksToGo for Puppy Linux: http://www.geekstogo.com/…..=findpost&am…21#entry1197721

These two are iso images you download then use your burner software to create the bootable CD from:
EBCD
Ultimate Boot CD

This one you have to build on your system and you need a Windows XP Home, Pro or MCE CD. Takes a bit of work to set it up but it's not difficult and when you boot it, you have Windows XP:
Ultimate Boot CD for Windows
How to build UBCD4WIN
So which one should I use? Which wqould be easiest to navigate? And this will allow me to access the my documents folder on my hard drive? My computer will go to the windows loading page then blue screen right before the welcome screen. It says the video card isn't supported. Then it restarts it self.
Is there a way that I can install like windows98 or install windows xp without reformating my hard drive? I just want to get to the my documents folder then reformat. The second hard drive that is in my comp I think had windows xp or maybe 98 can I maybe switch the hard drives and try booting of that one? I really just need a way to get into the my documents folder
Hi lilv, I just want to throw a couple of thoughts out. If your other drive has win98 on it, it won't help much as win98 won't see the NTFS partition. If it is xp, then that's a different story. Hey guys, what about an overinstall (repair)? Too late at this point? lilv, wait untill the folks helping you comment before trying any of this. Don't want to make a bad situation worse. Take care.

I really just need a way to get into the my documents folder

The safest way to do that is to connect that drive to another computer, and copy your My Document folder over. Then you can do whatever you want to the old computer and drives, your data will be safe.
The easiest way is Puppy Linux. Try it. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.Follow Happyrck's instructions in the link I provided, but get the Puppy Linux 2.17.1 "Dancer" version.

If that doesn't work for you then you can do as Digerati suggested and mount the drive as a slave in the other computer and access your My Documents folder that way.

I would not do any kind of install until after you have saved your data.

Is there a way that I can install like windows98 or install windows xp without reformating my hard drive? I just want to get to the my documents folder then reformat. The second hard drive that is in my comp I think had windows xp or maybe 98 can I maybe switch the hard drives and try booting of that one? I really just need a way to get into the my documents folder


Win98 startup disk….but you wouldn't want to do that, it cannot see an NTFS partition either.

if you can download and burn a win 2000 iso file, and burn it to a CD, you can use the Recovery Console which CAN read NTFS, and DOES NOT have the copy restrictions that the XP Recovery Console does. Or borrow someone's old win2k disk.


The safest way to do that is to connect that drive to another computer, and copy your My Document folder over. Then you can do whatever you want to the old computer and drives, your data will be safe.

I agree with Digerati, I would just add that since in this case you were known to be infected, so you need to make DARN SURE you scan that puppy good before you copy anything !

Tallon41
Just took out my hard drive and put it in a different computer. Was able to get all the documents I needed and burned onto a dvd. Thank you so much to everyone who hellped me! I just reformatted and installed windows xp. Just now foe some reason my computer isn't showing my second hd.
Check your connections good. Does it detect in the BIOS ? is it 'new' or have you previously used it ? [as in–it has been 'partitioned' and 'formatted' previously ]

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI