This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Need to get info from D: drive of virused computer

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have reinstalled windows XP over and over and evidently the virus on the system keeps eating it up. I've given up and bought another computer. Now… before it crashed completely, I moved all of my needed files to the D: drive. From the command prompt, I can see them all on the D: drive with the DIR command. My question is, how can I get those files off of there at the command prompt (which is the only thing I can get into) so that I can put them on the new computer? It says you can't use removeable media, which I'm assuming is a jump drive? And it won't let me access the CD drive to burn anything onto it.
There are several different ways to do this Adasha. I was hoping someone else would chime in on this one.

My suggestion to you is to investigate Linux live distributions that you can download and burn onto a CD. You can then boot the CD on the computer you need the data from and use the abilities of the software to transfer that data to an external drive, or CD-Rom.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=l…nux+live+distro

See above for some links to more information. I use a live CD very, very, very rarely because I have alternative tools available to me as a technician. So, someone else will hopefully come in here and suggest a more specific version of Live CD to use.

If you are technically inclined you can always remove the hard drive from the computer you are having troubles with and plug it in as a slave drive to the other PC so that you can access and transfer data also. I don't really recommend this method, because there is the potential of damaging your drive or computer, or infecting your new computer.

Either way, you are going to want to be careful in your endeavor to transfer data. NEVER transfer executable files (.exe) or the like. Only transfer your data (Music, Documents, Pictures). You run too much of a risk of transferring infected files to the new machine.

Please do not guess at this stuff, and make sure a qualified person is doing the job so that your new computer is safe.
I am not very knowledgeable in this type of deep stuff, so I would not know what all of those Linux terms mean. I have no idea which to choose or how to proceed. Help???
I really don't feel qualified to offer you assistance with this problem. I just don't have any real experience with Live CDs because I don't need them. Hopefully, another member will come along shortly with more experience using a Linux live CD and can lead you to the right location for further information. Please wait for solid information before proceeding. Thanks.
Try booting a Linux "Live" CD like Puppy Linux or one of the other bootable CD packages like EBCD, UBCD or best of all, UBCD4WIN. See if you can access your D: drive that way. If yes, and if the computer has a CD burner, you could write the data from D: on a CDR or copy it to a flash drive if you have one.

See this post by Happyrck on GeeksToGo for Puppy Linux:
http://www.geekstogo.com/…..=findpost&am…21#entry1197721
Get the latest Puppy Linux available on the site referenced as the one Happyrck mentions is no longer easily available.

These two are iso images you download then use your burner software to create the bootable CD from:
EBCD
Ultimate Boot CD

This one you have to build on your system and you need a Windows XP Home, Pro or MCE CD. Takes a bit of work to set it up but it's not difficult and when you boot it, you have Windows XP:
Ultimate Boot CD for Windows
How to build UBCD4WIN

If you need more assistance with any of this, please don't hesitate to ask.

Also, if you do get a new computer, you could take the drive out of your current computer and mount it in the new computer as a slave drive then copy the data directly.

You could also buy and external USB 2.0 drive enclosure (with a fan) then mount the drive from the old computer in it, then you could copy the data to the new computer any time you wanted to. This is probably the easiest, though not the cheapest, way to go. You can also use the external drive once you have your data off it for backup.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI