I'm trying to create a windows xp bootable cd. My goal is to be able to re-partition an existing drive and re-install windows on it..
Heres the problem..
I have copies I made of my original XP cd, but for whatever reason they are not bootable.
I went to bootdisk.com and made downloaded the disk but it wasnt quite what I wanted… It brought me to a dos prompt..Which would normally be ok but when I give the setup command I get the error "This process cannot be run in DOS."
So. If anyone knows how to
1.Setup xp in DOS
2. Create a bootcd that would actually allow me to accomplish my task
I would be greatly appreciative.
I appreciate the response to the thread with that link…
However, the process outlined does not work because I dont have the I386 folder anywhere but in driver cache
I have copies I made of my original XP cd, but for whatever reason they are not bootable.
This is because they are "copies of data", you should create an "image" of your XP CD. You can use ImgBurn for this. http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download Making a backup copy of your software is perfectly legal.
Special Note: It's important to burn your (new) CD at the burn rating of your media. The speed will be noted on the surface of the media. ie; 2X/4X etc. This will prevent burning errors which may not be apparent until you use that burned data. By then it's too late to save yourself.
I used alcohol 120% to create an image and then burned the image accross but Ive lost my orignal cd so I used the non-bootable copies to make an image which obviously didnt work..
I have XP home as well, the original cd, and cd key but when I put it it and boot up it goes to the blue screen where it initally sets up and then won't go any further
"… but Ive lost my orignal cd so I used the non-bootable copies to make an image which obviously didnt work..
Ah, things are clearer now….
Here's a link to nLite. This program will take your "non-bootable copies" and walk you through creating a bootable CD. However, you MUST HAVE a copy of the i386 directory.