This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

moving all programs

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

How do I move all my programs to my new computer? I have never used a crossover cable. I have a usb external hardddrive case that I can put the old harddrive in. Can I move all the program files to the new harddrive and they will work? (Windows Office is what I am mainly concerned about. This is an xp to xp move. Thanks Ladydreamrider
Hi, and welcome to the WTT forums
:welcome:
Its easy to move the files that are created by your application (for example .doc files created by Microsoft Word) using your external hard drive or a thumb drive, cd or even a floppy disc, but when it comes to installing (for example) Microsoft Word on a new computer then your need the actual Microsoft Installation disc.

Quite often modern versions of these sorts of applications are only licensed to be installed on one computer…….. That's how large organisations, like Microsoft ,generate the income necessary to support and develop their products.

Open source applications (for example "Open office" from:
http://www.openoffice.org/
are freely available under a general licence that is free of charge.
Regards
paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI