Hmmm, I don't know, but I am looking - maybe someone else will come that knows.
In the meantime, I think it would be a hassle to use the hosts file for a "whitelist", which is what you seem to be attempting. The hosts file is typically used to block sites, not allow them through. It is used to block known bad sites, but also used to block "legitimate" <_< ads, popups, banners, etc. sites use for revenue.
Perhaps if you told us what it is you are trying to accomplish. It "sounds" at this point, you are looking for some sort of "parental control" software that allows you, as parent or administrator, to pick and choose which sites users can visit, monitors where they go, what words they enter, etc. Yes it is spying. But absolutely yes, it is necessary to protect them from predators who ARE seeking them out. Vista has pretty good parental controls built in.
yes i am trying to limit what site they go on. At work we really only need one site that has what we need on it and I was trying to set it up so only that site is avalible. I have seen it befor were the address bar is removed from IE and just the home page it avalible and the tool bar is locked out so you cant change that. I would be happy doing that as well. I am just not sure how to do it.
At work we really only need one site that has what we need on it and I was trying to set it up so only that site is avalible.
Then I agree,
You can probably accomplish this with a firewall, but not the hosts file.
Is this a corporate network with dedicated network devices (router and servers) or just a small office with a shared Cable/DSL connection?
I have found that a policy is often easier to enforce than actually trying to manage access. If you tell people monitoring software has been installed and that they will be fired for accessing porn, gambling, shopping, whatever, but they can still check their bank accounts, check their email or the like, as someone might do over the phone (if work tasks are done) they may not revolt as some might if taking away something they are used to having. At that point, someone needs to decide if they capitulate, or fire the employees.
they have to log on to the doman. each station has its own ip. they do not have admin access. I have a policy about the porn and other stuff but it the other non threating sites that they are abusing now. I dont really want to fire anyone. I think if I take the temptation away it will nolonger be a problem.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI