Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

What Are Hosts Files?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tink

Tink

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 10 January 2004 - 02:26 AM

Hi all - WinME I truly hate to seem so very dense, but, although I have looked them up and read about them, I *really* don't understand exactly what they are, how they work and, why/when would you need one. :huh: I have had a few people tell me I should have a HOSTS file, but, I don't like the idea of doing something without knowing what and why it is/does. <_< I would really appreciate it if someone would explain to me in just plain laymans terms what this is and what it does. I just can't seem to make any real sense of it. :unsure: Best regards, Tink :wavey:
aka Jan Il MS MVP - IE/OE Smiles are meant to be shared, that's why they're so contagious.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Coyote

Coyote

Emeritus-Expert

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 10 January 2004 - 08:34 AM

You want the best info on hosts, in a fashion anyone can understand?

Have I got a link for you!

http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/

Gorilla has been doing this quite a while, his site is quite informative.
Go forth and conquer your goals with the renewed spirit of Coyote and do not let small setbacks stop you from Your Dreams

Microsoft MVP 2006-2007

May your day be blessed by those you love and those you love be blessed by HIM ;-)

#3 Tink

Tink

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 10 January 2004 - 11:53 AM

Hi Coyote! Thank you very much for the link. It was indeed very easy to understand and very well explained. Even for me! :D I very much appreciate your time and help. I'm off to be a HOSTS-ess! Tink :wavey:
aka Jan Il MS MVP - IE/OE Smiles are meant to be shared, that's why they're so contagious.

#4 mjc

mjc

-

• PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 10 January 2004 - 12:17 PM

I was going to comment.......but, sheesh, hard to beat Gorilla's stuff..... :)
I hope it wan't my turn to refill te coffe pot...

Posted Image

#5 Tink

Tink

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 10 January 2004 - 01:46 PM

Hi mjc! Yeah...he sure don't monkey around! :weee: Thank you for offering to help, I do appreciate it very much. Tink :wavey:

#6 tashi

tashi

Forum God

• Root Admin
  • 11,581 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 12:40 AM

Thanks Coyote, This link is just what I was looking for. :D

Microsoft MVP 2006-2016. Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018. Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-