This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

best free firewall software

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Which is the best free firewall software?

Avast Firewall

Ummm, Avast "Firewall"? Avast is moving towards an anti-malware approach, but I don't believe they have a firewall yet. They are still pretty much AV oriented.

You will get all different answers depending on who you talk too. I used ZoneAlarm for years, but now use Comodo and like it, though it does have a steep learning curve. Comodo also supports HIPS, which is nice.

If you are not using one get, start Windows Firewall immediately. Since it assumes you keep your systems updated and you actively scan all incoming data, so data from your system is clean. Therefore, it is only one way, blocking unauthorized incoming access attempts only. Only take it down if you replace it. Windows Firewall is fine for most people, but, in XP, does not protect you from malware calling home from your system, should it some how get past all your other defenses.
Hello Digerati,

Oh Dear, must have been tired, the end of my day. :wub: I should be more careful.

ZoneAlarm Firewall free and Avast Antivirus free would be more correct…. the programs I use and they work well for me.

Sorry seo if I mislead you. My apologies to you.

kind regards,
lol - Well, I blame such things on QCF - quinquagenarian cranial flatulence.

ZoneAlarm is still a great FW but in their more recent versions have started to foist their entire suites on users more aggressively than I like - a common trend among all the suite makers, I am afraid, and an example to always pick "Custom Install". And there have been a couple issues recently where ZoneAlarm broke network access, which is never cool. But still, it is easy to use, and a lot of experienced users willing to help.

I really don't know of any bad firewalls, just good and better. If it passes Steve Gibson's ShieldsUP!! tests, you are probably good to go.
Digerati,

QCF - quinquagenarian cranial flatulence

They are called Senior Moments here, but then I am not going to admit to being a senior YET.[external image: Posted Image]

As the Americans say, "Have a good day".
Edit: Spelling mistake!

Digerate

Who? ;)

QCF - quinquagenarian cranial flatulence

They are called Senior Moments here, but then I am not going to admit to being a senior YET.

Why do you think I call it QCF?
I use Zonealarm Free Firewall and now Avast Free Anti-virus (per Tallin's suggestion). Steve Gibson's ShieldsUp fails me on "Ping Reply". It also failed when I used AVG 8.0 Free Edition. Don't know how to fix.
Hi Silverfox,

I use Zonealarm Free Firewall and now Avast Free Anti-virus (per Tallin's suggestion).

Excellent choice, you will not be disappointed, and glad you let us know what you decided to do.

kind regards, :thumbup:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI