Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

My first extensive batch program

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DanielD

DanielD

Silver Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 08:12 PM

I would like to know if I can post the following program. I noticed .bats are not allowed to be uploaded so I decided to make a query instead of going around the attachment blocker (using an alternate download source). So here's the run-down on my program.

As you can tell by the title this isn't really software, but I made this batch file in hopes that it might possibly be even a little bit useful to any of the people here at whatthetech.

My program (System Scanner.bat) is a 8kb batch file that runs a scan to find the most important pieces of information on a computer. The point of this program would be to give it to people who don't know how to find this info themselves, also this program makes it quicker and easier to collect it. So instead of asking people to find all their system information when you need to help them fix something. You can just tell them to use this program and with the 7 different parameters it has, they can run a scan, give you the log file, and it should have all the info you need.

The 7 things this program can currently scan for are:

Windows Version and Service Pack
Processor Information
System Drive Files and Directories (whats on your C: drive)
System Drive Space (total directories on your C: drive, files, and amount of free space)
Currently Running Processes
Program Files (all the directories found in your root Program Files folders, basically installed programs)
Installed Drivers

Built into the program is a EDIT option where the user can set each of those parameters to ON or OFF. The program even saves them after you exit.

This program is not capable of doing damage as it only deletes temp files made by itself and only records data so it shouldn't cause crashes or delete important things. Even if no one wants to use it I'd still like to post it for fellow batch programmers to view as it has a lot of interesting and useful code.

Some other features of it are:

Automatically detects the System Drive to avoid errors caused by directly using C:\
Automatically detects the Program Files drive to avoid errors by directly using C:\Program Files
Runs in less than 20 seconds even with all scans on
Auto-saves log to desktop, opens, and has simple instructions on how to post the log on WTT Forums
Edits out personal information such as Names and Serial Numbers from the logs

Also if an admin or mod needs to see this program before allowing me to post it (if they will allow me to post it), then I'll gladly oblige to send it to the proper person first.

Edited by Vectris, 05 September 2008 - 08:21 PM.

The internet's most useful tool, Google.

"Life's like a game of Poker, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose" - Garfield

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Digerati

Digerati

Built, broke, fixed, learned.

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 08 September 2008 - 10:12 AM

Hi Vectris,

First, understand I have done an excellent job of avoiding writing code for my 30+ years working with computer hardware. So I am not here to evaluate your syntax. But I have done a lot of software evaluating and testing (professionally and for fun) to see how it ran on hardware and networks. Knowing what you are working with, (system information) is alway nice when troubleshooting, and for that reason alone, I decided to look at this.

The problem you are going to have is you are competing with professionally produced, refined, and free products that provide tons more information than just that you mention above. If a user's computer is healthy enough to run your program, I would probably have them run Belarc Advisor, Everest, or SIW which provide information on motherboard make, model, BIOS, all drives, graphics, monitors, drivers, RAM, actual device clock/bus speeds, fan speeds and critical temperatures and much, much more.

That said, I am sad to say your batch file did not do as promised. Here's what my log said:

[---LOG START---]
Date: Mon 09/08/2008
Time: 9:06:07.73

[---Windows Version and Service Pack---]
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
CSDVersion REG_SZ Service Pack 3

[---Processor Information---]
Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.06GHz

[---System Drive (C:) Space---]
13 File(s) 2,892,235 bytes
5 Dir(s) 29,327,574,016 bytes free
[---LOG END---]

Notice it failed to report:

Currently Running Processes
Program Files
Installed Drivers

Beyond that, the information it did provide is not that useful to me. Yes, knowing it is XP and up to SP3 is nice, but is that Home? Or Pro? SIW for my OS not only tells me I have Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3, it tells me it has been Activated, the date installed, and how long since the last reboot (For the record, that's 20 Days 19 Hours 1 Minute 8 seconds! :)). For my CPU, the other programs tell me the package (pin count) and code name too - Northwood, and they correctly report the two virtual cores, either as

Core #0 - Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.06GHz, 3073 MHz
Core #1 - Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.06GHz, 3073 MHz

or

Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.06GHz, One Physical Processor / One Core / 2 Logical Processors / 32 bits

System drive information is nice, but I am not sure I need that information. I guess if the user had 100s of directories and 1000s of files in his root, that would be good to know. I want to know how much free space is available on the drive that contains the page file too.

I certainly don't want to discourage your coding efforts, but I think with products like SIW, that runs in a stand-alone (does not install) package of only 1.5Mb, and provides so much more information, there is just not a need for a program like yours. I think I would move away from batch files too - that would, and SHOULD, discourage many users hesitant to run easily infected files - exactly why you can't post .bat files here.

But that's just me. Others may not agree and find it really useful. Sorry I could not be more supportive. The good news is, it did run, and exit properly and that is big in my book.
kIbxonF.gif Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
fl3leAE.gif Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

#3 DanielD

DanielD

Silver Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 04:02 PM

Ok thanks for the reply. I didn't expect much anyways. The reason I posted was simply because I didn't see anything else in use, however I am aware that this is dead meat in a market of several other superior programs. Also the problem was probably because you didn't go to the scan settings and enable the other scans, by default those are the only ones turned on. Also this program has much room for development and I could add several of the things you mentioned. No one has to give this program any serious thought I suppose, but the one advantage of being a batch file is it is super quick, simple, and easy to edit and thus add any missing features that may provide use. I supposed this program will never really come close to the standards of those already released, but simply for the experience and practice I would like to try to add what it is you would normally want from a program like this. Thanks for your time and post, Vectris And I'm also in the process of learning VB, so if I could every get anywhere with this program I may be able to do something with VB (it's a course in school though so it will be at least a year before I ever learn enough to deal with this kind of information). EDIT: If you know the registry locations of any of that information it will work fine as batch files can read the registry, so that's one of the best sources for information on the OS and other system settings.

Edited by Vectris, 08 September 2008 - 04:11 PM.

#4 Digerati

Digerati

Built, broke, fixed, learned.

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 08 September 2008 - 10:01 PM

Also the problem was probably because you didn't go to the scan settings and enable the other scans

You are correct. I have gone back and changed the settings and they did provide the other information. Sorry for not being more thorough the first time around.
kIbxonF.gif Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
fl3leAE.gif Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

#5 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 10:39 PM

Interesting effort you have going there, Vectris. I admire your ambition and work as an academic and intellectual exercise. I suppose everybody starts somewhere. I seem to remember a piece of plywood and many winds of wire and a few safety pins and a chunk of crystal stuff and headphones. Wasn't much, but I could get a few AM radio channels back in the 1950's when I was a Cub Scout doing a project.. Enjoy the adventure. Doug
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#6 DanielD

DanielD

Silver Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 03:49 PM

Interesting effort you have going there, Vectris.
I admire your ambition and work as an academic and intellectual exercise.
I suppose everybody starts somewhere.

I seem to remember a piece of plywood and many winds of wire and a few safety pins and a chunk of crystal stuff and headphones.
Wasn't much, but I could get a few AM radio channels back in the 1950's when I was a Cub Scout doing a project..

Thanks, it's surprising how much farther I've gone in a couple of months. I have to say I'm embarrassed by this post now. I'm currently learning Visual Basic and I've already made some simple programs (got 250+ downloads on one :thumbup:) and am currently working on a program with a potential of thousands of users. Unfortunately I can't make any VB programs that could be useful against viruses due to how little I know about them and how they work. But if I ever learn more (I was think of joining the classroom next summer, schools keeping me to busy) then I may be able to make a useful contribution.

Edited by Vectris, 13 October 2008 - 03:50 PM.

#7 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 03:09 AM

Well done Vectris.
I think you are doing good work here...more power to your elbow!

@Doug

seem to remember a piece of plywood and many winds of wire and a few safety pins and a chunk of crystal stuff and headphones

It rings a bell with me too....I learnt to fly in one of those!.........long time ago now!
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate