This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows Installer Corruption after Trojan Resolution

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello,

I recently went through a successful remediation of an internet virus/trojan that infected our computer. See here: http://forums.whatthetech.com/w32_agent_pz…496#entry482496

Since the remediation, I am now unable to remove some programs via Add/Remove Programs; specifically Microsoft Live (terrible software).

I am also unable to launch an existing Excel file directly but instead have to open New Office Document, chose Blank Workbook, allow Excel to load and then open a document through the file - open menus.

I also noticed that it failed to upgrade Office 2003 to SP3.

This all started after I contracted the virus which was days after XP upgraded to SP3.

Here are some screenshots of the errors I receive.

I also can't load Microsoft Outlook in my wife's profile, it gives an Avast plug in error and Outlook goes Not Responding every time.

Please help, I really don't want to reload the entire computer from scratch.

📎2008_09_03_20_03.png📎2008_09_03_06_40.png
See here for uninstalling One care. It has instructions for manual uninstall if needed: http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare…06&SiteID=2

For Excel, what is the deault action shown (hilighted) when you right click on a xls file? On mine it's Open. Also, if you look at the Filetypes tab in Folder Options, what program is associated with it? Should be Microsoft Excel.

For Windows Installer, try installing the Windows Installer 3.1 Redistributable (v2)

For the Avast problem, uninstall and reinstall it.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI