This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
What the Tech Community

Hello!

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

hello to all! i do so hope that i am doing this right. I have to say…I am at my wits end. :pullhair: I have a dell XPS 400 and im running windows xp and recently began having some problems. i believe it started when our old anti virus software expired. I was getting pop ups all the time, even when not surfing the web and slow loadings etc. Also was and still am getting a window pop up saying that microsoft office basic edition 2003 is trying to install. click cancel, it comes back. click install and it says to insert disk two. never took this off of my machine to begin with, so it should still be installed. I have read several of the posts in here and have seen where some other people have had the Win32.Trats virus. Luck me, I have it too. I have ran spybot s&d, adaware, nortons anti virus. everything that has been said to do, i have, with the exception of the hijackthis. it seemed like everything i had done had removed all of the adaware and spybots but i still was getting the microsoft office pop up and certain games wont work. i ran nortons today again and it found a tracking cookie and the win32.trats. it keeps saying that the problem has been fixed, when clearly, it has not. so i am here, asking for help, because i have NO CLUE as to take care of this thing. i have read up on it and from what i understand it affects the registry. something that i am very scared to mess with. lol any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
:welcome:
I highly suggest you post a HJT log here so a staff member can help you get your system clean.
Due to there being more requests for help there than there are helpers and their time, it may take a few days for you to receive a reply, so please be patient.
However if you still haven't received a reply in 5 days please post here.