This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows 98 ethernet

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I'm trying to set up an ethernet connection on a windows 98 machine and I'm not sure how to set it up in networking. When I plug in the cable, the network card lights up, but I need to enter the correct host names and addresses in the fields under networking in the control panel, no? Is there anyone who can help? I'm used to using Ubuntu Linux and Window XP which do these things rather automatically. Thanks, Dave
No, you shouldn't have to do anything like that. What response do you get if you enter

ping www.mozilla.org

from a command prompt? Should look something like this:

Pinging www.mozilla.org.usgscac.cdnetworks.net [64.245.124.38] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 64.245.124.38: bytes=32 time=141ms TTL=44
Reply from 64.245.124.38: bytes=32 time=129ms TTL=44
Reply from 64.245.124.38: bytes=32 time=124ms TTL=44
Reply from 64.245.124.38: bytes=32 time=123ms TTL=44

Ping statistics for 64.245.124.38:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 123ms, Maximum = 141ms, Average = 129ms

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI