This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Silly Java

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hey Gang

Im not sure that this is the right place, but. Does anyone know of a reason why Java does not update its self between versions, ie…

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\jusched.exe"

Now, even that most bloated, annoying (and, depressingly, irreplacable) software iTunes manages to keep its self updated properly. (Or, it shouts at you until you give in and update to whatever new pointless features they want you to waste cpu cycles with).

Does anyone know why Java does not do this? For any normal piece of software, even open source apps like CCleaner or MBAM, if it finds a new version it goes ahead and installs the new version over the old. Java just sits there and asks the internets to take it's best shot at infecting the pc. I guess I must be overlooking some obvious solution as to why Java can't do this?

ATB - Toka
Hi, Mainly the java updater works……………..but sometimes it doesn't. :pullhair: A lot of folks disable the updater (scheduler) preferring to do it themselves, as part of their regular maintenance on the other hand you will have seen hundreds of HJT logs all showing multiple versions of obsolete Java…and just occasionally an up to date one! :wall: Regards paws
Hehe thanks paws I guess I'll have to content myself with rolling my eyes at all the old versions that seem to collect on peoples systems :)

Hehe thanks paws
I guess I'll have to content myself with rolling my eyes at all the old versions that seem to collect on peoples systems :)

Hi Tokamak,

No, you certainly don't have to look at any old versions of Java in your Add and Remove utility.

Cleanup old Java files in Windows is a wonderful tool that will keep your system free of old java files.

I would suggest you go to your Add and Remove, uninstall all Java files present, and install the latest Java for your system here .

Then download JavaRa.exe from the link above and put it in your maintenance folder to run periodically to keep your system clean of all old Java installations.

I hope this will assist you.

kind regards, [external image: Posted Image]
*hug* Ooooh , nice Tallin. I've not seen that tool before. That is so going into my canned speech Guess Im going to need something else to be overly dramatic about now :) (Adobe seems a good choice, foxit here we come! :banana:) I am however, a little curious about this word 'maintenance' though. Looking after my PC in a regular, systematic fashion? Pah, that will never catch on…
[external image: Posted Image] Tokamak,

Yes, I would give Adobe the boot. I did that years ago and installed Foxit. Adobe is a resource hogger. Foxit does most of what the average person needs and is a small program to boot.

Maintenance Folder :thumbup:

Very important to my way of thinking. I have it on my desktop, in it are shortcuts of all software Antispyware/Malware programs installed but manually run. I run a different one at random weekly, but none are in my startup except for Avast Antivirus.

In fact there is nothing in my Startup Folder at all, but in Msconfig there are four items in Startup:


  • ashdep (avast)
  • Winpatrol
  • zlclient (Ghost image backup)
  • BOC426 (Comodo BIO Clean 4.26)
I am not too sure what you mean that will "never catch on"

kind regards, :)
[external image: Posted Image]

And Kasp, backup etc etc, keeps me amused each Saturday morning. They have to be on the desktop or I would just forget and sit down to browse ICHC or something.

It's not a long list, Im just compensating for other things..
[attachment removed: dito.gif_2.gif] Tokamak, I think you have things well in hand. :thumbup: I am a fusspot that is the only difference :smack: All the best

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI