This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

XP Pro Java Updates

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I notice that java is now at jre v 1.6.0_10 when consulting WhattheTech and http://java.com. However, when I use the java applet in the XP control panel
which was always my way of doing it, its shows I am on v1.6.0_7 when doing the built in update it says I have the latest update (firewall on or off!).

I have tried this on 3 separate computers, does java no longer support the control panel update?
Mike
Hi Mike8,

I had a look at my Java update in Control Panel, it shows the latest Java Standard as I understand it. Version: 6 Update 10 (build 1.6.0_10-633)

You may like to download and install JavaRa.exe. It certainly makes updating Java very easy with no worries about uninstalling old Java JRE versions.

You can also verify your Java installed as a further option here

Best regards,
You may not be being prompted to update as Update 10 contains no new real (security) updates from Update 7, they have just restructured the update process and added a service. Be careful with JavaRa, as far as I know it doesn't remove Java 6 Update 7 yet (the developer hasn't had time to update it).
Thanks guys. I agree there was probably no prompt from the control panel as update 10 is really a developer update. If you had installed it manually and checked control panel you would see the current version as well. I prefer to download from sun java and remove old versions using add/remove programmes.
Just for information, The update 10 came through on one of my machines where the Java was set to notify me automatically of updates . Regards paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI