This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Networking nightmare

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I've got a network problem that I can't seem to solve. I've got a gateway laptop and a desktop that I built. The laptop is running xp media center while the desktop is running xp home. Both can ping the router/modem, the laptop can ping the desktop and take control of it usin tight vnc, but the desktop cannot ping the laptop. The laptop use xp's firewall while the desktop uses comodo personal firewall. What could be causing this and how can I solve this.

I've got a network problem that I can't seem to solve. I've got a gateway laptop and a desktop that I built. The laptop is running xp media center while the desktop is running xp home. Both can ping the router/modem, the laptop can ping the desktop and take control of it usin tight vnc, but the desktop cannot ping the laptop. The laptop use xp's firewall while the desktop uses comodo personal firewall. What could be causing this and how can I solve this.


run the network setup wizard on both. Pick a workgroup name and use it on BOTH PC's

choose the "just finnish the wizard" option at the end. Don't forget to "TURN-ON file and Printer sharing" when asked.


reboot TWICE.

check it now….if same, then ping again FROM BOTH, one of them likely CAN ping the other, if so, then the one that won't answer pings still has a firewall issue.

Tallon41

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI