This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Cannot conect to desk top on a home network

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am trying to set up a network with my laptop and desk top, I set-up a wireless router Linksys WRT54G. Wireless to router with laptop running XP pro. WAP encrypted. Wired to router with desktop running XP Home. With fire wall disabled I can ping the desktop from the laptop. But the laptop cannot see the desktop in My Network Places. View Workgroup Computers. The Desktop can see the laptop. Security is Windows Live One Care on both machines. Any suggestions for settings to check or change would be welcome.
Both computers should be in the same workgroup. XP pro defaults to "WORKGROUP," and XP home defaults to "MSHOME." Both computers should have firewall options changed to allow "file and printer sharing." Or, to test, disable the firewall all together for a little while. Thats basically it. You should share something on both machines in order for them to show up properly in My Network Places if I remember right. If they aren't sharing anything, I don't think they will show up.
I double checked the systems according to your comments. Workgroup/network name is the same. File and printer sharing is enabled. I added a shared folder to the laptop. There was one already set-up on the desktop. But, alas, still no change even with firewall disabled on both machines.. The desk top can see and access files on the laptop. But the laptop stil cannot see the desktop. Thanks for your response.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI