This might be one of the toughest challenges I've faced… I ran into some trouble yesterday. Upon reboot I couldn't log on and my VAIO is just sitting there today.
Errors received after the BootScreen:
–
winlogon.exe- Bad Image X(close window)
The application or DLL C:\WINDOWS/system32/SHELL32.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.
–
I received another error but with just "lsass.exe" in the title.
After two clicks:
User Interface Failure X(close window)
The Logon User Interface DLL msgina.dll failed to load
–
Then it told me to contact the administer or something like that.
I've tried Safe Mode, VGA Mode, and Last Known good configuration and it failed to load Windows. It just got passed the BootScreen then the three errors and a blank background.
I've been fool. Story was that I was playing around with this "Replacer" tool and I was reading about the Vista icons in the SHELL32.dll file. I didn't backup my data and rebooted (primary computer).
Sigh.
I can't logon and I cannot afford a reformat.
In the old days of Win2000 and XP, before Microsoft Security Update MS04-011, any lsass error made me very suspicious of Sasser Worm, and off to Malware Removal wa the next step.
In your case, you seem to be saying that you were experimenting with various Vista settings prior to the sudden appearance of the problem, thereby implying that it was most likely something that you did that caused the problem.
__________
You indicate you "cannot afford a reformat".
Is that because you have saved documents and files that you don't want to lose?
If so, it may be time to use a Linux or Bart-PE CD to retrieve and save those valuable documents and then perform a repair or full reinstallation.
Short of that, you might also be able to "expand" WINDOWS/system32/SHELL32.dll from your Vista CD and place it into your: C:\WINDOWS/system32/SHELL32.dll
Please keep us posted with your progress.
Many of us may learn some important lessens from your work.
Best Regards,
Doug
A reformat will do. Thank you sir for your concern. I have Ubuntu now (temporarily) and have began transferring my documents (that was why I could not afford a reformat; I do have the Recovery CD's).
The story was that I was playing with the SHELL32.dll file from the System32 (crucial)… I stumbled across a forum that said, one user can gain "Vista" icons by replacing the current SHELL32.dll file (Windows XP OS) with the SHELL32 file downloaded from the forum. Along with this, I used a tool called "Replacer".
Now with Ubuntu (installed on another partition), I began browsing through the System32 folder and found that the XP SHELL32.dll file was renamed to SHELL32.backup. I have not rebooted yet, to see if it works, but I'll report back.
Thank you.
Sounds like a good plan.
Gotta love Linux for emergencies like this, even if not used for general computing.
As much as I'd be tempted to "just fix it", I'd still back up the important data …. first…. before making what may end up being a simple matter of changing the file extention back to SHELL32.dll and dumping the supposed "vista" replacement.
Thanks for bringing your progress and follow-up to our attention.
I'll bet you will save heartache and heartburn for a bunch of people.
Best Regards,
Doug
Yes, I hope people do take this as reference… not to mess with such a crucial Windows folder, unless they know what they are doing.
The Linux Ubuntu was a lifesaver… I took a look again in the System32 folder and there! The original SHELL32.dll (SHELL32.backup) was sitting there. I removed the current one and renamed and replaced it with the old one. Boot! Back to Windows.
I recalled that Vista system files [usually (plus HiJack This log headers)] began with 6.x and Windows XP OS system files (HJT header) began with 5.x.
Thank you Doug for the response.
Ubuntu's user interface was "tangy" and it looked so much like Mac OS X. However, it still satisfied me.
Since Windows XP and Ubuntu are on the same drive, I'll get to know them both better.
Hi all, I having the exactly same problem with the TS(Thread Starter).
I didn't have a Linux Ubuntu or whatever. It just windows XP home edition SP3.
I can't afford a reformat too. My CD-ROM is stucked inside my CPU. I can't put any CDs inside it.
Anyone help me with this?
Thanks in advance.
Hi all, I having the exactly same problem with the TS(Thread Starter).
I didn't have a Linux Ubuntu or whatever. It just windows XP home edition SP3.
I can't afford a reformat too. My CD-ROM is stucked inside my CPU. I can't put any CDs inside it.
Anyone help me with this?
Thanks in advance.
Hi ProblemGuy,
Would you please start your own thread in The Windows Forum so you get the very best of attention and do not get lost in another posters thread.