This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Problem regarding shell32.dll file when reboot

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi everyone, I have a problem regarding the file shell32.dll after I reboot my computer before the logon screen come out.

Also, there's a previous post that similar to mine. http://forums.whatthetech.com/winlogon_exe…age_t94503.html

After I rebooted my computer, this window popped-up, saying

winlogon.exe - Bad Image

The application or DLL C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.


After clicking OK button, another one:

lsass.exe - Bad Image

The application or DLL C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.


Again after clicking OK button, the last one came out, saying:

User Interface Failure

The Logon User Interface DLL msgina.dll failed to load.

Contact your system administrator to replace the DLL,or restore the original DLL.


And then a Restart button.

That day I was tweaking with shell32.dll file with two programs: Resource Hacker and Replacer. Some articles on the web shows that I can transform my windows Xp to vista one by just editing some DLL files. So I followed and did that. After I reboot my computer, these above windows that I mentioned are pop-up.

I can't reformat my computer.
First reason is my CD-ROM stucked inside, the tray cannot come out when I push the button.
Second reason is that I got some important files/documents in my hard drive that I haven't backup.
(sigh… I've bought 4GB flash drive to backup my data, but now I can't…zzz)

I only have one window and one hard drive.
The previous thread have mentioned that he has a Linux Ubuntu.
And I don't have it.

I'm using the first computer now. And my computer is the second one.
My network connection is LAN, I have two PCs in my home. And can connect and transfer files from computer to computer.
I wonder if I can reformat my computer with another one. (Means the XP cd put into the first computer and reformat the second computer that working on LAN) Tell me if I can, and tell me step by step.

System details:
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
version 2002
Service pack 3
Intel pentium 4 2.80Ghz
248MB of RAM.

if u need more of my system details pls reply below, thanks.

Thank you all in advance.

Any help will be really appreciated.

Hope you can help me out with this.
Sorry to hear you're having problems. Did you make copies of the files you "tweaked" ? What happens if you try "safe mode" no optical drive ? Can you take one of the optical drives out of the working PC and put it into the non-working PC ? That way you can boot from a Windows xp CD (or win2k if you have one would be better,) into the Recovery Console, and then you can put the original files back the way they were if you can do that….. Tallon41
The Ubuntu Linux mentioned in the other post is a "Live" Linux Cd, meaning it's bootable and you can run Linux directly from the CD. You can do the same only instead of Ubuntu, which is 715MB, try Puppy Linux, which is only 92MB. Download the puppy-2.16.1-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso file.

This is a bootable CD ISO images. You don't burn the iso file itself to CD., you create a CD from the iso file using your CD burning software. Nero, Roxio, Sonic all support burning from an iso file. There is also a good freeware burner called DeepBurner which will do this. Another called ISO Recorder is also very easy to use.

Once you have the Live Puppy Linux CD, you boot it and then look at your \Windows\System32 folder for a backup of the SHELL32.dll file, possibly called SHELL32.backup. If it's there, rename the existing SHELL32.DLL to SHELL32.BAD and rename SHELL32.backup to SHELL32.dll, then boot windows and see if it's fixed.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI