Hi there,
Bought a Compaq computer from someone. She wiped out the hard drive before selling it to me.
I used my old Compaq restore disks to load Windows 98 on it. Successfully loaded to factory condition.
However, my display is 640 x 480, and will not change in "settings". Identical to Safe Mode.
Display adapter is "Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA). Video card is on motherboard. (via chipset).
Specs: Compaq PC
7550 Monitor 17"
Windows 98 2nd edition
Roman25
Hi,
You will need to load the video drivers, to obtain full screen functionality, as its possible that the Restore disc(s) you used to load the operating system either did not include them or was not an identical match for the particular make and model number/series of your machine.
You may still be able to download these from the Compaq support website (you will need the exact details of your machine) or from the manufacturers of the machine's motherboard. The alternative is to find the restore disc or utility disc for the exact same make and model number machine
As you are running Win 98, I hope you are wise and experienced in the ways of the badguys…………… as Win 98 is no longer being updated by Microsoft and can only usually be run safely by expert operators ….
Make sure you are behind a good 2 way software firewall at all times!
When you have your machine correctly configured and running fast and smoothly, take a disc image and after verifying it and making a boot disc keep you image safe on removable media.
In the event of major trouble that cannot be fixed by the usual means it is a quick job to re image your boot partition and so be up and running again in the time it takes to walk the dog!
Regards
paws
Nice! Was a little more specific in downloading the appropriate Display Driver from the Compaq Site.
Thanks for your help. Only 1 more Question. Could tell me a little about performing the Disk Image
that you advised me to do.
Roman25
Hi,
Thats good to hear well done
Here's an extract from my canned speech on disc images………..
If you use Ghost, Acronis, Drive Image, Paragon or similar disc imaging programmes, you are creating an exact "image" of your partition or hard disc so it's very different from a standard manufacturer's Restore disc, but you can use the programmes to replicate the effects of one if you wish!
Let me explain, if you have at the moment one partition on your computer, the c: drive and it includes your operating system, programmes/applications, data, including files with letters, spreadsheets, photographs, your university lectures, and your dissertation or thesis and all the other stuff, taking a disc image using for example Acronis or one of the other programmes is like taking an electronic photograph of everything on your computer. In the event of serious trouble that cannot be fixed by the usual methods, you can just reformat your C: drive and replace everything with the disc image you took using your disc image.
This will mean that your hard drive will be restored to exactly the same as it was when you took the disc image or electronic photograph. Beware however that you will have been wise to copy amendments made since the last disc image was taken I.E. if you wrote up an important research document yesterday but your disc image was taken last week your research document would be lost unless you do as I do and copy it to removable media.
A better solution to this problem is to have your operating system and applications, on for example C: drive with documents, data etc on D:
If you are forced to restore your image on to C: because of serious problems that cannot be easily overcome by the usual means, then your operating system and all your Applications will be working perfectly again within half an hour or so (leaving you just to implement any recent Windows Updates) and your valuable documents , data etc will be untouched as they will be on the different drive/partition I.E. D:
I could go on at length but will not do so unless you ask me to!
To sum up
1 A manufacturer's Restore disc will put your computer back to the exact state it was in, when it left the factory.
2 The disc image (Ghost, Acronis etc) will put your computer back to the exact state it was in, when you took the disc image (so if you have installed lots of extra programmes, your email settings, address book, browser favourites, Internet access passwords, and also created lots of documents and other data, all these will be restored to the state they were in when you took the disc image.
My final advice is always to keep your disc image safe on removable media and also to verify that your image is good and not corrupted…….its too late to check when your system won't boot!
Regards
paws
Thanks, I'll look into that once I get some Programs, drivers, spyware, etc. loaded onto there.
I know Windows 98 is not supported, but this pc is just going to be a starter for my sister,
who's never had one before. Again, thanks for your help, you guys are great.
Roman25
Hi Paws, I hope you're still there! A different problem surfaced. My PC Restarts after I turn it off,
whether by clicking "Shut Down", or pressing Power Button, it comes back on.
After Restoring my PC, I installed the Video Driver, an Ethernet card, IE6, and Spybot S&D.
And then, my Restart problem started. I Uninstalled Spybot–same problem. Seems like
after I visit Microsoft Update, stuff starts happening. Paranoia.
I am going to try and order the Original Restore Disks from Compaq, but their Website says
that they are limited on old stuff.
Any ideas?
Roman
Sorry, just remembered something. I also installed my Printer and Driver while Spybot was
running. Spybot interrupted me a few times. Clicked "Allow". Ended up with a "Red X" on the
IJ300 Uninstall icon, (on Printer properties).
Roman
Tried changing the Bios Settings. Same Problem. You mentioned lan or
modem activity, so I removed the Ethernet card and BINGO. May have had the wrong Driver installed.
Works pretty well now.
FYI. Was getting alot of freezes and some fatal errors, then it prompted me to
install Adobe flash, which I did, and no more freezes or errors. Maybe the errors were
related to the Freezes and Ctl-alt-del'ing that I was doing.
All in all, thanks for your help. Won't bug you any more.
Roman