This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows Vista / UAC is ON / File permission Administrators Only proble

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi I have one problem with Windows Vista - Business edition. The UAC is turned on (and must stay on), I have one binary which should be started with member of Administrators or Power Users. The file permissions is set for Administrators and Power users only - Full control. I know that someone will tell me that Power user is depreciated on Vista, but with Administrators only I have same error. I'm logged in as Admin user, even if I start with Run As Administrator I've got the same error: Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item. I've tried with: "net user administrator /activate:yes" And when I'm logged as "Administrator", everything works perfect But I would like for my customers to use the application as member of Administrators or Power users group, with UAC turned on. The attached picture show file permission for the application. Any one who know why I can't start the application even if I'm logged as member of Administrators group Thanks in advance :pullhair:
Hello, Are you the administrator for this system? You claim to log on as administrator, so here goes, (if you get fired it is not my fault) Even though you log in as an Admin with the account you have, it has limits. This is something Vista did to protect you from yourself. In other words, you don't have full administrator priveleges. You can log on as a full admin a few different ways. One way is to simply unhide the true admin logon in a cmd. click the start menu. In the bottom search bar type cmd (don't hit enter) cmd will show in the list on top .. right click on it and click to run as administrator the command panel will open type this command exactly as it appears here.. or just copy and paste it in the cmd panel net user administrator /active:yes hit enter and it should tell you it completed successfully. close the cmd panel and log off of windows. When you log back on you should have a new Admin log on. Log on as admin and try to run your program that way. It might be a good idea to keep your regular user logon and use that for normal functioning. You might also want to create a password for the admin logon and only use that for technical purposes.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI