This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Installing WindowsXP home edition troubleshooting

7 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello I'm trying to install windows xp home edition on an optiplex gx520. I seem to have trouble whenever i get to the windows set up while it installs devices, i get a setup error, I can't even log in to windows, my computer just restarts. I'm wondering if this version of windows is compatabile with the cd I have. I remember one of the first ttimes I tried to install it, i received a message telling me that the devices weren't windows logo tested (or something like that). Also said that there would be a possibility they would not work either in the near future or immediately after installation. So like a dummy, I went ahead and tried to install anyways. I keep trying to reinstall windows but I seem to keep having the same problem. I don't know if it's a corrupt or missing system file and if so how can i go about putting it back in the system? I can't even get into windows, not even on safe mode. Just tried to repair files through the installation setup screen and I received this message and on a blue screen: A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps: Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters. Check with your hardware vendor for any bios updates. Disable biosi memory options such as caching or shadowing. I fyou need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press f8 to select advanced startup options and then select safe mode. Technical information *** STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xBF871B44, 0xF774B9CC, 0x00000000) *** Win32k.sys - Address BF871B44 base at BF800000, Datestamp 3b7de698 Beginning dump of physical memory Physical memory dump complete. Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance Some one lend me a hand please? Thanks! Chris
Hi Mordimier, Though you've done a good job of reviewing your problem and describing/listing your error message, there is a little more information that would be useful to us here before making any recommendations. You are installing Windows XP on a Dell Optiplex GX520. That should be no problem, since the machine originally shipped with XP. Question: Are you using the Dell provided XP Restore CD to install XP? If you are using another XP CD…. What is its source. For instance is it a full-retail XP or OEM? If OEM, has it ever been used to install on another machine? If OEM, is it specifically made for Dell computers or might it be for HP, Sony, Acer Compaq or some other brand? What Service Pack version does the XP installation CD contain? Note: The Dell Optiplex gx520 may have difficulty with drivers when attempting to run with XP - no service pack, or XP SP1. Most of those problems seem to have been resolved in Dell Optiplex gx520 with XP SP2. Have you made any hardware changes to that Optiplex? That particular Optiplex has a problem that relates to boot-order and the front panel USB ports. If your machine's CMOS/BIOS has settings to boot from USB, the machine may be locking up do to the hard-wiring of the front panel USB ports. The USB related type problem may be resolved in BIOS by prefenting any reference to USB in the boot sequence. The USB related type problem may be resolved by physically disconnecting the wiring to the front panel USB ports. As to which Windows XP installation CD to use… You will probably do better if it is either the original one from Dell, or a Full Retail XP with SP2. With the additional information from the above questions, we may be better able to assist you. Best Regards, Doug
Thanks for the reply doug! Well as far as I know this is a "recovery" cd. My father gave it to me. I've used it on one computer so far in my house, so I've been trying to use other means to instlal windows. I have two windows xp pro cds (burnt copies) but i can't access them or at least i don't know how to outside of windows. To be honest with you I have no idea what OEM is. The CD reads "operating system, reinstallation CD microsoft windows xp home edition. Says only use this cd to reinstall the operating system on a dell computer. This CD is not for reinstallation of programs or drivers. on the right side of teh cd it shows support.dell.com and www.dell.com. For distribution only with a new Dell computer."At the very buttom of the CD it reads copyright 1996 2001 dell computer corporation, 1985-2001 microsoft corporation. All rights reserved P/N 7K404 As far as what service pack it uses, i believe service pack 1. I've made absolutely no hardware changes to the optiplex. I will check what you mentioned about booting up from the USB. I have nothing plugged in front USB ports. So should I still go ahead and disable the USB or switch the boot sequence around, maybe make it last in order?? Let me know what to do next from here, Thanks Oh yea, this is a computer from my father's job. One of the PCs that are no longer used, so I never officially purchased, it was a hand me down sort of deal. Chris
Hello again Chris,

You describe an OEM restore disk from Dell.
OEM - Original Equipment Manufacturer

operating system, reinstallation CD microsoft windows xp home edition. Says only use this cd to reinstall the operating system on a dell computer.


Computer manufacturer's such as Dell, HP, Compaq, Toshiba, Sony, Acer, Lenova, eMachine and others "create" an installation version of MS Windows XP (home or pro) that is most suitable for the hardware and intended tasks of the machine that it is associated with.

With "some" exceptions, it is not possible to use an HP or Compaq branded XP installation CD to install on a Dell machine or vice-versa.

Since both your machine and your "restore windows XP Home" CD are branded from Dell, you "may" be able to use the CD to install the operating system on this Optiplex gx520.

Small "however"….
Since Dell customizes the XP operating system for the particular machine, it "may" be that the Dell CD that you have was created for one of the other Dell machine lines such as the XPS, or Inspiron, or similar, and "not" for the Optiplex.
The machine AND the installation CD need to be compatible, and that is assured by the requirement of the Product Identification Number that you must enter during the installation procedure. (25 character alphanumeric 5 section code)

If the Product Identificatin Number embedded in the code of the CD does not "match" the Product Identification Number that your Optiplex is expecting, (printed on a tag on the case of the Optiplex, then the installation may not complete, or there may be problems with it that may or may not be fixable.

A "Retail" version of XP has a unique 25 digit code that is good on any machine. If the machine wears out, or for any other reason you buy a new machine, the Retail version XP can be installed on the new machine and activated, provided that it is not being used on the previous machine at the same time.
An "OEM" version (non-branded) can be used once on one machine only and cannot be migrated to another machine.

You "may" have an option with Dell.
You can call Dell and request the correct Dell branded OEM CD for your machine by telling Dell what the Product Identification Number is. You would need to be up-front with them. Tell them that you got the machine "second-hand" and that it failed to function to such an extent that you believe reinstalling of the XP Operating System is the only solution. Dell will charge you about $30 US for the replacement "restore CD".
That may be necessary for you.
While you're on the phone with Dell, see if they can send you any driver and/or original software CD's at the same time.
Probably not, but it's worth asking.

As to the USB issue.
Yes, disable USB devices from the boot sequence via BIOS.
It doesn't matter if there is a device (memory stick, etc) plugged into the USB port or not.
The machine tries to read from USB upon boot and gets fouled up if it finds no operating system available from the USB.
After you get your XP up and running, there is an automatic update provided by MS that will fix this problem in most cases. You don't have to "search" for it, just log in to the MS updates site and allow Windows Genuine Advantage program to scan your machine for needed updates and patches. Accept them all.

I hope the above is useful to you.
Keep us posted with your progress.

Best Regards,
Doug

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI