This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Seem not to be able to start 3D games and unable to install WinXP

13 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I've also got problems starting up my 3D games, like warcraft, civilization III, and some online games. The programs either blur or just stall on the opening of the program. If this topic is supposed to be in the other forum sub-topic, please advise. I'm thinki8ng it's the hardware that's making the problem. This computer has gone from repair shop to repair shop, and it still doesn't work on games. The parts of the computer are supposed to be plug-and-play, but I suppose some of them are not compatible.
Let's have a look at the machine and how it is presently operating.
To get that look, please Run the Full Tests at http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on Full Tests in the left hand column list.
You will be required to Register with a valid email address, and create your own password.
When you begin the Full Tests, you will be required to "allow" an ActiveX which enables your machine to Run the Tests.
Both Registering and Enabling the ActiveX are safe.

When the Full Tests are complete (takes about 2 minutes) you will receive a browseable Results page.
In the upper-right portion of the page, you will see a list of options. (sort of dark yellow-brown color)
The last item in that list is Share Results with TechExpress
Double-Click on Techexpress Link, then copy/paste the entire TechExpress message containing the URL for your Results, posting that information back here into this thread.

From that information, we may be able to assist you further.

Best Regards
Oh, where to start?
First, from looking at the components of your machine, you have a moderately strong system that should meet your needs of general computing/browsing and some games, but not the highly interactive first-person shooter games that require more competent video resolution. You should be fine with Warcraft and similar. I am not familiar with Civilization. Your machine as it is presently configured would probably have trouble with Medal of Honor, Call of Duty, and BattleField type games that require better video resolution.
________________

The machine looks to be "custom built" rather than a branded machine. Is that true?

Just a note: It is highly unusual to have ECC DIMM physical RAM installed for Desktop usage.
Any reason why? Your machie will run OK with it, but may not be able to take advantage and certainly not "need" the additional error correcting functions of the extra chip on each RAM stick.
Another note: I have no clue why you have a D:\ partition that is "empty", unless it was set aside specifically for use a Paging File/Swap Disk. I'm confused, because it doesn't seem to be being used for that purpose at this time, and the size 2008mb is not an amount I would select for best benefit to Paging.

Your machine would very likely function "much" better with Windows XP operating system and might even come close to handling some, but not all, of the higher demand games if you are willing to run them at their lower game settings.

You mention difficulty "installing" Windows XP.
Are you attempting to use an "upgrade CD" or do you have a "full version" XP installation CD?

I wouldn't even consider trying to "upgrade" your operating system as it is presently set up.
You have far too many applications running at Boot (25% CPU load) and shouldn't try to keep the present configurations.

Your present installation of SpywareGuardian (an older/resource intensive but competent protective feature) may be interferring with installation of XP.

Backing up any important data and files, and then reformating C:\ in preparation for a clean install of XP wold be the way to go.

If you do decide to reformat and install XP, You can get the Chipset Drivers from the ASRock website, here:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/download.asp?Model=P4VM800&s=
and the Video Card Driver from ATI, where their Catalyst Driver easily cover your board's needs.
________________

Since your Video Acceleration is turned off, can we presume that you have difficulty with your Video Card acceleration when it is turned on?
Is there a physical (hardware) problem with the Video Card itself?
Does your Radeon Video Card have an auxillary power connector? Is it connected?
You may benefit from upgrading the driver for your Video Card, but it is possible that an "older" driver will work better due to your operating system (winME).
Installing XP operating system would likely help you overcome difficulties with Video Card Driver upgrade.
__________________

Your Internet Connectivity appears to be BroadBand, but with extreme problems.
Such bandwidth and Ping suggest either a Satelite connection, a condition of faulty telephone wiring at your location, or extreme distances. For instance, some locations in Australia or some locations in Thailand show similar status. If you are actually located near a central telephone company installation (within 3-5 miles) then you should have your telephone company check the wiring.
_______________

With your current security application in place, you are probably not "infected" at this time, but your IE security settings make you vulnerable to Internet vectors of infection.
__________________

If you decide to stay with your present operating system, please complete the recommendations as set forth in the PCPitstop Results sections. Each and every one of those suggestions is important and will lead to better performance of your machine.

After tending to the PCPitstop suggestions, you should consider "disabling" as much as possible from your MSCONFIG - StartUp(tab) list
________________

Finally – If this machine has passed through the hands of a few "repair shops", then I would seriously urge you to ask for your money to be returned.
None of the current trouble alerts in your PCPitstop Test Results should have been "overlooked" or "not attended to" by any Tech.

I realize I've commented on several issues and asked quite a few questions.
Please answer the various questions above, and let us know how you would like to proceed.

You should "take heart" and anticipate having a much better performing machine as a result of your work.
There are some "seriously talented" folks here at TC that will probably drop in to lend a hand if you need it.

Best Regards
Whoa didn't know I had that many problems before. First of Is there anything I should do with my physical RAM? I believe the RAM in my computer is of different brands. Will that interfere with my computing? My D: drive is really a hard drive set aside for storing stuff. It is a long held hardware that I can't seem to junk because scandisk hasn't shown any bad sectors yet. Should I replace it? Since I guess XP is the way to go, I'm going to try and re-install it in my system again. The problem with the XP operating system is that at first it will run smoothly, but after a while it stalls up and doesn't function anymore. It's like the games I was telling you about it runs just like that. But I guess I must be doing things wrong at my end so I'm going to re-install it and see what happens. Your questions… Is there a physical (hardware) problem with the Video Card itself? Does your Radeon Video Card have an auxillary power connector? Is it connected? …Would be addressed by installing XP I believe. I really didn't know the broadband specs, but I recently tested it online, and its 320KB/s download, and 180KB/s for upload, if I remember right. I was guessing in my part on that section. My bad. After installing XP I'm going to get back to reply so please wait. Thanks again for seeing everything. And God Bless. P.S. This really is a custom built computer, it is a result of my dabbling really in the world of computing. I didn't know it had to go through all these channels. My bad.
Hi sagelanoj,

Yes the current configuration and performance of the machine indicates several problems.
Yes, a Format and installation of XP will give you a clean shot for best performance.

Note: Backup all of your important data To CD prior to formating C:\ (all your data and files will be LOST during formating)

Note: If you have various "installation files" for applications (for instance I notice you have Open Office) you should Save such installation files to CD for later installation of the applications on your newly installed XP Operating System.

Note: Having ECC DIMM RAM on a Desktop is not "bad", just unusual, as it is more expensive and ordinarily only used on Servers.
_______________

You may want to open up your Tower Case and blow out any dust/dirt.
While you have the case open, confirm that the "auxillary power connector" is correctly attached to your Video Card.
____________________

What kind of XP installation CD do you have?
Upgrade?
OEM?
Retail?
__________________

In the process of installing your XP operating system
If OEM or Retail:
- Format C:\ <—- to remove/clean all content files, configuration, etc from the Disk (you will loose all data and files)

(Follow this Order of Activities)
- Insert your XP installation CD and Reboot - allowing XP to begin and complete the installation process.
- Download and install DirectX 9.0c <——– you should already have downloaded and Saved DirectX 9.0c (versionf for XP) to CD for easy installation
- Download and install ASRock Chipset Drivers <——– you should already have downloaded and Saved Chipset Drivers (versions for XP) to CD for easy installation
- Install XP Service Pack 2 if it is not included on your XP installation CD
- Install your various Security Applications <——– you should already have downloaded and Saved your various Security Application (download and save the versions for XP) to CD for easy installation
- Immediately Update your Security Applications
- Run Disk Cleanup to remove the various junk that Windows installation may leave behind.
- Defrag your Drive C:\
- Install your various Office and gaming applications <——– you should already have downloaded and Saved various Office and gaming applications to CD for easy installation


Since you have Drive D:\ just sitting there unused, consider managing your Virtual Memory/Swap File on Drive D:\ (ask how, if necessary)
____________

If you are using an XP Upgrade installation CD, you won't necesarily have to leave WinMe installed on your machine. Instead, when the XP Upgrade installation procedure gets to the point of Verifying an Eligible Operating System to Upgrade, you can insert the WinMe installation CD into your CD-ROM for XP to Verify.
_____________

Alternatively, if you have a Boot Floppy (or you can download one from http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm) you can use the FDISK function to Remove the D:\ Logical Drive and Partition, leaving only C:\

Or you can Create a new Partition for your XP Operating System as C:\ Set as Active Partition (Make it about 15gb)
Then Create an Extended Disk Partition and Create Logical Drive D:\ (allow D:\ to use all remaining Disk space)

That way you can have your XP Operating System on its own separate Drive, and all your Applications and Data on a separate Drive. This is a good thing, in the event that you must Repair XP in the future, you can do so without disturbing your Applications and Data.

If you Create New Partitions using FDISK, you'll need to Format C:\ and D:\ prior to installing.
A Win98 or WinME Boot Disk with FDISK function will only be able to Format in FAT32.
It would be better to use your XP Installation CD to Format Drive C:\ as NTFS prior to installing XP.

Please post back with your progress and any additional questions that may arise.

Best Regards
I've finished installing Windows XP, and is not currently experiencing any kind of permanent stalling.

Here are the things I've done to what you've suggested, and my some of my questions for it…

1. You may want to open up your Tower Case and blow out any dust/dirt.
While you have the case open, confirm that the "auxillary power connector" is correctly attached to your Video Card.


I really don't know how I could do this cleaning tip right. I'm kind of afraid I'd disconnect an important wire plugged-in somewhere. Please advise on how to procede. And how do I confirm that the "auxillary power connector" is correctly attached?

2. What kind of XP installation CD do you have?
Upgrade?
OEM?
Retail?


I bought mine on a retail store, and the box said it had an SP2 in it. It was in a CD.

3. Excluding OpenOffice I've backed-up all the relevant files and drivers in my PC in CDs. And as of now are downloading updates for them.

4. Since you have Drive D:\ just sitting there unused, consider managing your Virtual Memory/Swap File on Drive D:\ (ask how, if necessary)

How can I do this modification?

5. Alternatively, if you have a Boot Floppy (or you can download one from http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm) you can use the FDISK function to Remove the D:\ Logical Drive and Partition, leaving only C:\

Is this question related to question#4? If so, please advise on how to execute.

6. Or you can Create a new Partition for your XP Operating System as C:\ Set as Active Partition (Make it about 15gb)


I wasn't able to do this modification, so I'm stuck with a 80GB partition for WinXp and my programs. I was able to incorporate the NTFS when installing the OS, though.

A side question to this is how do you reach the other partition created when the one functioning is the one with the OS. I'm a little afraid of partitioning cause it might erase my data. So please advise.

7. Then Create an Extended Disk Partition and Create Logical Drive D:\ (allow D:\ to use all remaining Disk space)

Where do I find this option? Is it in the WinXP installation CD? I sort of saw these options while installing WinXP. Or is it from Fdisk?

———————————————————-

That really is all that I want to ask. Can I post another URL from the pitstop website? I sort of want you to see again what I've done to the computer so far, after all your instructions. I also wanted to ask if this Topic ever get erased in the TomCoyote? I sort of want to bookmark this discussion for future reference. Other than that thanks very much again, and god bless.
I don't want to be ecstatic or anything but I think my games are running fine now (WHOA). I don't want to jinx what's happened so I will not talk extensively about it (please be fixed now, pleaseeeeeee…)

Here is the URL of the pitstop website. Please advise on what to do.

http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=NCWWFWAAJQWSN4MJ

By the way I saw the report, it seems that my C: drive needs defragmenting. Does it really have to be now? The defrag option in the system tools say there is no need to defrag. Is there a need?

Thanks again for your incredible help. I can't thank you enough. Wish I had money to donate for your advice are topnotch!
Wow!
Nice Work sagelanoj!!!!

Looking Good.
On Drive C:\ — 7% file fragmentation, should be defragged, but look at that Disk Speed……… 147% of expected. That's Excellent.

So I'd say, no…….. Enjoy yourself, but maybe defrag after a bit of use, especially before and after installing applications.

I'll be posting some additional recommendations, but not right now. And answering your posted questions.
Sorry, I'm in the middle of working on a friends machine that is physically in front of me right now.

Your Post will not be "removed", it will just keep getting older and slipping down the list.
Keep the URL for it and you will be able to find it easily.
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?show…pid=351743&

I don't know the size and age limitations on this Board, but it may "eventually" be removed.
But you can always copy/paste any parts that you wish to save into a NotePad/WordPad text file.

I'll get back to you as soon as I am able.

Where Are You? Don't give me your address or any identifying information, but that "PING" of "326" suggests that you are not in North America for sure.

Best Regards
I live in the Philippines, and it also shows in the online tests that im close to it. Everytime I log-in to either yahoo or google it registers there that I'm accessing my computer here in the Philippines. Our DSL here is not that much refined, like in the US or in other countries. The fastest connection offrered here is the 1MB-1.5MB/sec package, not of us here for examples uses the 4MB-8MB connection in the US. I was surprised they offer such a service there. Anyway, my computer functions just fine with the connection and I'm able to download important add-ons I'd like to install in my PC. I guess I'll defrag my C: drive after a little time has passed and clutter builds up. As you said it has 147% of poerformance, and I really want to try out those games I've been hoarding here at home. I've bookmarked this page, but I believe I'll copy the contents here to to a word processor. Thanks so much again for helping me out, and I'll be expecting those additional instructions to help me make the most out of my PC. Until then, God bless you.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI