This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Reformat and installlation of WindowsXp home edition

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am trying to reformat and install windowsxp home edition on my micron clientpro. Have a little difficulty, sometimes it slows down or even stops CD from installing, other times get an error saying windows couldn't load because of either a file is missing or corrupted from the system32 files. What is the best way of going about this? I have other wwindows xp cds but i don't think they will boot up during start up, i think you can only access on windows. I can't even get into windows on this machine as is to make it more difficult. Anyhow, some one help me out heere? :)
Hello, Where did you get this, and the other, copies of Windows? If they where downloads, or are reecovery disc from other computers they will not work (and it is not legal).
This is a different computer, the post i made having to do with the trojan i accidently downloaded is a different computer that's on my Dell Dimension desktop. The one i wanted to reformat is my clientpro micron, i also have a dell optiplex gx520 that i wanted to reformat too. With the optiplex it seems to just slow down or stop completely while it installs the devices. When i first tried this it was asking me if i still wanted to install the devices even though they didn't pass a windows logo test?? I still gave it a shot and it didn't work. So i deleted the original partitioned hard drive and partitioned again and tried to install it again. And for who ever has doubts about what cd I'm using to reinstall windows, it's my father's copy, so i don't know how it would not be legal, it's technically mine. Anyways, the clientpro i took care of, that's up and running now finally, i just am trying to install windows on the optiplex and trying to recover my dell dimension L500R (i think that's it) from the trojan i downloaded. I got rid of the worm I had, but is still acting a little buggy. I'm running avast antivirus to scan for viruses but i'm not all confident that will take care of the problem. ANYWAYS, that's the whole low down, kinda got off on a tangent from the original subject, sorry! Thanks for the help guys and any more to come!

And for who ever has doubts about what cd I'm using to reinstall windows, it's my father's copy, so i don't know how it would not be legal, it's technically mine.

No actually it would not be legal as you can not use a copy on two different machines.
However that is not the reason you can not install it.
I am confused, are you trying to do a fresh install?
Do you know if your bios has an anti-virus? If so it will have to be disabled.
You listed several machines, which machine are you trying to install XP on?
I will look up the bios version to see if there is an anti-virus.
I am trying to do a heal my dell dimension L500R desktop, it is the one that is infected, i have avast and i moved any bad files i found to the virus chest, but i don't know if they are just infected files i actually need or files that are important to windows functioning. Alot of them were system32 files. It's running real slow with anything i do now. I did a virus scan and i can't even finish it, i waited a full 2 days for it run and do a thorough scan. The optiplex gx520 is the one i'm trying to fresh install, and that just seems to freeze when the installing devices process happens during windows setup. That one I am clueless on what to do. Just trying to learn a thing or two. Kind of starting from the ground up in PC repair and maintenance. Thanks!
Is your fathers XP disc a recovery disk that came with his computer, or is it an XP disc that was purchased? I feel it is a recovery disc because it is looking for a specific hardware profile that does not match the computer that you are trying to install it on.
Yea i think it is. I received a message that popped up when i was installing the devices saying something about the devices would not work or sometime in the future would not work because they weren't the correct matching ones for that specific computer or something. So does this mean i need to go out and buy a brand new windows xp copy for the optiplex? And while i'm at it, i'm having a feeling i might have to do the same for the dell dimension L500R. It is just running so slow and really slows down when I'm typing for anything on a web browser. My greatest fear is i still have a worm\trojan still on the machine. If there's another way i can fix this besides completely reformatting and reinstalling a new version of windows that'd be great
You can go on line to sites like tigerdirect and newegg and buy a valid copy of Windows for much less than you can get it from a retail store.

So does this mean i need to go out and buy a brand new windows xp copy for the optiplex?


there's no need to buy more copies of xp for computers that need reloading

You are expected to only pay once per computer, let's say I have an old emachine, a dell and a HP. Each came with xp home oem installed. Each has a seperate COA sticker on the side. I can use any generic home oem xp disk create a slipstreamed sp3 install disk and then load all three computers with that disk as long as I use their original numbers.

I am sure Microsoft will be glad to get the extra money, their idea of leasing you the OS didn't work

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI