I am having trouble with one of our older computers, getting message errors and such as well as it not performing as it should. I have already done all the hijackthis stuff and it was fixed except for these issues as noted. In addition it will not let me do a system restore. It goes through the whole process but then it announces that it was unable to restore.
I have already run the recovery console and it did not help.
SO,
I want to just reinstall the operating system and have this computer start from new similar to what I did with my older laptop a while back. I do not have a system recovery cd set for this machine but I do have the set from the lap top mentioned above.
The question is, can I use the system recovery cd set from the laptop on this desk top machine?
The system recovery set is titled;
hp quickrestore
system recovery cd
Microsoft Windows XP Home SP1
The computer came with XP Pro, but I don't care about the difference between Pro & Home.
I cannot tie this machine up for very long as it's main use is for our accounting.
Thanks, Rick
Hi, The short answer is no.
If you need to reinstall (always a last resort) then you will need either the manufacturer's restore disc set including drivers for your particular machine or the Microsoft Windows Installation disc or an image of your system taken when your machine was in good shape and running fast and smoothly.
As you use the machine for accounting you probably have a complete back up, but in any event please take the opportunity now to bring your back up/archive/copy of all your important stuff 100% up to date, check that it's accurate, reproducible and held securely on removable media (not your hard drive)……
the idea here is to ensure that all your important data, files, spreadsheets, work, music, emails, log in details, user names, address book, drivers, letters, invoices, videos etc….in fact everything that is important to you (stuff that you would not like to permanently lose) is kept safe on external media.
Whilst you are doing this collect together all your application installation discs (or downloaded installation executables) serial numbers, product licence keys (including the one
for Windows itself and the Microsoft Windows installation disc and or Manufacturer's Restore and Driver /utilities discs. If you have made a disc image then keep this safe also on removable media and ensure you have made a bootable CD/DVD for use in the event that Windows will not start.
Regards
paws
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI