wfordnin
Topic Starter
http://forums.whatthetech.com/Brower_redir…ms_t109817.html
I posted the following message in the infections removal form, and it was suggested I re-post here:
"Over the past several days, I have had progressive problems with an adware/malware/virus that has been hijacking and re-directing browser searches. I tried running malwarebytes, which removed some malicious items, but then malwarebytes wouldn't work any more - I got an error message saying the executable file could not be found. It seems whatever has gotten onto my machine is also blocking at least some anti-virus programs. I attempted getting at the malicious files by downloading and running additional malware removal programs, including Spybot & Super Antispyware. Both of these programs found and removed additional items (Super Antispyware identified over 900 items!!).
The computer in question is set up for multiple users, and each user has a password. The adults in the family are "administrators", the kids are not. After running Super Antispyware, I re-booted the computer. Now, when I log into my user account (actually ANY user account…), I am immediately logged back out again. This happens both in normal start-up mode and safe mode. I have no idea what I've done, and absolutely no clue where to go from here to try and fix it!"
A responder in the infections removal forum suggested that there was probably a problem with the userinit.exe program, either because the legitimate file was replaced by a malicious file, or the file may have had malicious code added to it, and suggested someone here might be able to help me out.
The computer in question is running Windows XP Professional version. I did back up the computer just a few days ago, because I could tell the malware problem was getting pretty bad, and was afraid something like this might happen. If it matters, it's a Dell desktop computer, a few years old. Not sure exactly what model, but I could dig up that information if it would help.
Thank you!
I posted the following message in the infections removal form, and it was suggested I re-post here:
"Over the past several days, I have had progressive problems with an adware/malware/virus that has been hijacking and re-directing browser searches. I tried running malwarebytes, which removed some malicious items, but then malwarebytes wouldn't work any more - I got an error message saying the executable file could not be found. It seems whatever has gotten onto my machine is also blocking at least some anti-virus programs. I attempted getting at the malicious files by downloading and running additional malware removal programs, including Spybot & Super Antispyware. Both of these programs found and removed additional items (Super Antispyware identified over 900 items!!).
The computer in question is set up for multiple users, and each user has a password. The adults in the family are "administrators", the kids are not. After running Super Antispyware, I re-booted the computer. Now, when I log into my user account (actually ANY user account…), I am immediately logged back out again. This happens both in normal start-up mode and safe mode. I have no idea what I've done, and absolutely no clue where to go from here to try and fix it!"
A responder in the infections removal forum suggested that there was probably a problem with the userinit.exe program, either because the legitimate file was replaced by a malicious file, or the file may have had malicious code added to it, and suggested someone here might be able to help me out.
The computer in question is running Windows XP Professional version. I did back up the computer just a few days ago, because I could tell the malware problem was getting pretty bad, and was afraid something like this might happen. If it matters, it's a Dell desktop computer, a few years old. Not sure exactly what model, but I could dig up that information if it would help.
Thank you!