This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

IE redirects result in IE error msgs and shut downs

15 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Good evening… :)

When I booted up this morning and attempted to Google a simple recipe, I was advised to "wait while I was redirected" and ended up on another site entirely. As soon as the bogus site loaded I received the dreaded "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close".

I immediately rebooted but it didn't correct the problem. Then I opted to go back to a restore point in March… no change. I downloaded Spyware Terminator on my Dad's computer (because I couldn't get anywhere or do anything here at home) put in on a flash drive and loaded/ran it when I got back home. It found 4 semi-malicious things and deleted them. That didn't fix anything, either. Updated Norton with all the latest definitions and ran a full system scan… came up clean.

In order to download HijackThis I had to Google it… and, as usual, the browser was redirected to elle.com… and as soon as I got there the "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem…. " window came up… but this time I just dragged it down to the task bar and kept on plugging. My DSL is now slower than dial-up was… but at least I managed to get here with a log file in just under an hour. Sigh.

I truly hope I'm not out of bounds here… but I'm thinking I'd better post this log file and hope that it actually makes it.

Thank you for any and all help with this…

One other thing I should probably relate: while perusing the entries being scanned by Spyware Terminator I noticed a weird entry. It was a Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing version something or another… and it appeared to be in the Start Up menu. I ran an MSCONFIG and checked the start up tab… but it didn't show up there. It's not in the add/remove programs, either. I've certainly never installed such a program… and no one else uses this PC… so it just seemed strange.

Again… I surely appreciate any assistance … and I do hope I have stayed within the forum etiquette.

Kindest regards,

Helen

The log file:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 9:11:09 PM, on 12/04/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
D:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
D:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
D:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
D:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
D:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
D:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
D:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
D:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
D:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
D:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
D:\Program Files\Max Registry Cleaner\MaxRCSystemTray.exe
D:\Program Files\Spyware Terminator\SpywareTerminatorShield.exe
D:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
D:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PIFSvc.exe
D:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
D:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
D:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
D:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
D:\WINDOWS\System32\devldr32.exe
D:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
D:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
D:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
D:\Program Files\Spyware Terminator\sp_rsser.exe
D:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
D:\WINDOWS\System32\Tablet.exe
D:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Console\NSCSRVCE.EXE
D:\WINDOWS\System32\dwwin.exe
D:\Documents and Settings\Helen\Desktop\HiJackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.ca/
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - D:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {1CB20BF0-BBAE-40A7-93F4-6435FF3D0411} - D:\PROGRA~1\Crawler\Toolbar\ctbr.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - D:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Ipswitch.WsftpBrowserHelper - {601ED020-FB6C-11D3-87D8-0050DA59922B} - D:\Program Files\WS_FTP Pro\wsbho2k0.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - D:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_08\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {A8F38D8D-E480-4D52-B7A2-731BB6995FDD} - D:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - D:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {C4069E3A-68F1-403E-B40E-20066696354B} - D:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Crawler Toolbar - {4B3803EA-5230-4DC3-A7FC-33638F3D3542} - D:\PROGRA~1\Crawler\Toolbar\ctbr.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "D:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RCAutoLiveUpdate] D:\Program Files\Max Registry Cleaner\MaxLiveUpdateRC.exe -AUTO
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RCSystemTray] D:\Program Files\Max Registry Cleaner\MaxRCSystemTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec PIF AlertEng] "D:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PIFSvc.exe" /a /m "D:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\AlertEng.dll"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpywareTerminator] "D:\Program Files\Spyware Terminator\SpywareTerminatorShield.exe"
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] D:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] D:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] D:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] D:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'Default user')
O4 - Startup: PowerReg Scheduler.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.exe.lnk = D:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = D:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = D:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Crawler Search - tbr:iemenu
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - D:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - D:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - D:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O12 - Plugin for .spop: D:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{A07AC136-ADE0-4D58-AC98-AD62955F00F7}: NameServer = 199.166.210.2 216.183.129.9
O18 - Protocol: tbr - {4D25FB7A-8902-4291-960E-9ADA051CFBBF} - D:\PROGRA~1\Crawler\Toolbar\ctbr.dll
O20 - AppInit_DLLs:
O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - D:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - D:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - D:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - D:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate Notice Service - Symantec Corporation - D:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PIFSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - D:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Firewall Monitor Service (NPFMntor) - Symantec Corporation - D:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Protection Center Service (NSCService) - Symantec Corporation - D:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Console\NSCSRVCE.EXE
O23 - Service: Symantec AVScan (SAVScan) - Symantec Corporation - D:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - D:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: SPBBCSvc - Symantec Corporation - D:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Spyware Terminator Realtime Shield Service (sp_rssrv) - Crawler.com - D:\Program Files\Spyware Terminator\sp_rsser.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Unknown owner - D:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: TabletService - Wacom Technology, Corp. - D:\WINDOWS\System32\Tablet.exe

–
End of file - 6800 bytes
Hello and welcome to the forum.

<–Should be XP SP3

You need to apply Service Pack 3 for Windows XP. Without this update, you're wide open to re-infection. Click here:

Apply the update, reboot, and post a fresh Hijack This log.
Thanks very much for your reply. I knew I'd run into trouble sooner or later with this old OS. I can't upgrade even to SP2 since my video card (3DFX Voodoo 4) would not be supported and… well… it's a bugger to be poor… ;) I guess the old rig is toast now. Again, thank you for your time, Helen
DO NOT use any TOOLS such as Combofix, SmitfraudFix, MBAM, Vundofix, or HijackThis fixes without supervision.

Doing so could make your pc inoperatible and could require a full reinstall of your OS, losing all your programs and data.




Stay with this topic until I give you the all clean post.

You might want to print these instructions out.

I suggest you do this:

Double-click My Computer.
Click the Tools menu, and then click Folder Options.
Click the View tab.
Uncheck "Hide file extensions for known file types."
Under the "Hidden files" folder, select "Show hidden files and folders."
Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files."
Click Apply, and then click OK.


Please do not delete anything unless instructed to.


Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
Download - ATF Cleaner»
Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.

(If you use FireFox or the Opera browser
To keep saved passwords, click No at the prompt.)

It's normal after running ATF cleaner that the PC will be slower to boot the first time or two.

Next:

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop.

  • Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected .
  • When completed, a log will open in Notepad. Please save it to a convenient location and post the results.
  • Note: If you receive a notice that some of the items couldn't be removed, that they have been added to the delete on reboot list, please reboot.
Also "copy/paste" a new HijackThis log file into this thread.

Also please describe how your computer behaves at the moment.


Please don't attach the scans / logs, use "copy/paste".
Hi LD, I surely appreciate your willingness to help under these less than ideal circumstances. I followed all of your instructions but now I cannot get to this forum on my PC. Each attempt triggers the "IE has encountered and problem and needs to close" and dragging it out of the way to continue no longer works. When I try with Netscape the same thing happens. I'm using a borrowed laptop to write this. The only way I can paste the MBAM log and the HJT log here would be if I brought them over to this machine using my flash drive… and I'm too afraid of bringing an infection with it. The MBAM scan resulted in no infections found… which is not helpful to you, I know. Methinks I'm doomed. Whatever crawled in and took root in my old rig is wickedly vicious. It has disabled regedit.exe and cmd.exe (I just wanted to have a look around to see if anything looked suspicious) and it won't even let me get my email using Eudora. Before I received your reply here, I downloaded and ran Spyware Doctor. It reported BACKDOOR.EMOGEN was found in D:\Windows\LastGood\Sys32\qmgr.dll and also said that this registry entry needed to be repaired: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE_CURRENT CONTENT SET\SERVICES\BITS\PARAMETERS, SERVICE.DLL, and of course it promised to fix everything if I would register (purchase) the program. I only mention this for the sake of interest. It makes me question the logistics of the whole thing. I've just been informed that I have a trojan infection that is gleefully stealing my passwords and sensitive information… and yet I'm invited to type out my credit card info while in such a compromising position…. :-\ Anyway… I thank you once again for your time and your assistance, Helen
You could try System Restore. 1. Click Start. 2. Point to All Programs. 3. Point to Accessories. 4. Point to System Tools. 5. Click System Restore. 6. Follow the instructions on the wizard. See if you can find a date the the PC worked.
Hello again…

There are no restore points in System Restore aside from today (April 19th) available in April. The arrow key to access an earlier month has apparently been disabled. I can't go back to an earlier month.

My F8 key has also been disabled and I can't boot into Safe Mode to try a system restore from there.

I've brought my log files onto this laptop by first scanning the flash drive with AVG… and no infection was found.

The MBAM log from the PC:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.36
Database version: 1945
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1

19/04/2009 11:13:21 AM
mbam-log-2009-04-19 (11-13-21).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 60457
Time elapsed: 6 minute(s), 32 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Registry Keys Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Registry Values Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Registry Data Items Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Folders Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Files Infected:
(No malicious items detected)


And the HJT log:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 11:15:46 AM, on 19/04/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
D:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
D:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
D:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
D:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
D:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
D:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
D:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
D:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
D:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
D:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
D:\Program Files\Max Registry Cleaner\MaxRCSystemTray.exe
D:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
D:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PIFSvc.exe
D:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
D:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
D:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
D:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
D:\WINDOWS\System32\devldr32.exe
D:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
D:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
D:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
D:\Program Files\Spyware Terminator\sp_rsser.exe
D:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
D:\WINDOWS\System32\Tablet.exe
D:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Console\NSCSRVCE.EXE
D:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
D:\Documents and Settings\Helen\Desktop\HiJackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.ca/
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - D:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {1CB20BF0-BBAE-40A7-93F4-6435FF3D0411} - D:\PROGRA~1\Crawler\Toolbar\ctbr.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - D:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Ipswitch.WsftpBrowserHelper - {601ED020-FB6C-11D3-87D8-0050DA59922B} - D:\Program Files\WS_FTP Pro\wsbho2k0.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - D:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_08\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {A8F38D8D-E480-4D52-B7A2-731BB6995FDD} - D:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - D:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {C4069E3A-68F1-403E-B40E-20066696354B} - D:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Crawler Toolbar - {4B3803EA-5230-4DC3-A7FC-33638F3D3542} - D:\PROGRA~1\Crawler\Toolbar\ctbr.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "D:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RCAutoLiveUpdate] D:\Program Files\Max Registry Cleaner\MaxLiveUpdateRC.exe -AUTO
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RCSystemTray] D:\Program Files\Max Registry Cleaner\MaxRCSystemTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec PIF AlertEng] "D:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PIFSvc.exe" /a /m "D:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\AlertEng.dll"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpywareTerminator] "D:\Program Files\Spyware Terminator\SpywareTerminatorShield.exe"
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] D:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] D:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] D:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] D:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'Default user')
O4 - Startup: PowerReg Scheduler.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.exe.lnk = D:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = D:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = D:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Crawler Search - tbr:iemenu
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - D:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - D:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - D:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O12 - Plugin for .spop: D:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{A07AC136-ADE0-4D58-AC98-AD62955F00F7}: NameServer = 199.166.210.2 216.183.129.9
O18 - Protocol: tbr - {4D25FB7A-8902-4291-960E-9ADA051CFBBF} - D:\PROGRA~1\Crawler\Toolbar\ctbr.dll
O20 - AppInit_DLLs:
O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - D:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - D:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - D:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - D:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate Notice Service - Symantec Corporation - D:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PIFSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - D:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Firewall Monitor Service (NPFMntor) - Symantec Corporation - D:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Protection Center Service (NSCService) - Symantec Corporation - D:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Console\NSCSRVCE.EXE
O23 - Service: Symantec AVScan (SAVScan) - Symantec Corporation - D:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: PC Tools Auxiliary Service (sdAuxService) - PC Tools - D:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsAuxs.exe
O23 - Service: PC Tools Security Service (sdCoreService) - PC Tools - D:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - D:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: SPBBCSvc - Symantec Corporation - D:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Spyware Terminator Realtime Shield Service (sp_rssrv) - Crawler.com - D:\Program Files\Spyware Terminator\sp_rsser.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Unknown owner - D:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: TabletService - Wacom Technology, Corp. - D:\WINDOWS\System32\Tablet.exe

–
End of file - 6990 bytes
Click Start> Run> type in CMD tap enter key Copy/Paste: ipconfig /flushdns Tap Enter If you are typing this in, note the space between the g /f It needs to be there. Next type in: ipconfig /release Tap Enter Next type in: ipconfig /renew Tap Enter Now lets check some settings on your system. Enter your Control Panel and double-click on Network Connections Then right click on your Default Connection Usually Local Area Connection for Cable and DSL Left click on Properties Double-Click on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) item Select the radio dial that says Obtain DNS Servers Automatically Note: Do this for all Network Connections Press OK twice to get out of the properties screen and reboot if it asks
I clicked Start> Run and typed in CMD but as soon as I tapped the enter key everything disappeared from my screen except my Desktop (without all my icons or the task bar) and then the icons slowly started re-appearing. No trace of the Run window. I tried this 3 times with the same result. In Network Connections I have my default Broadband connection (niagara.com) and the radio dial for 'Obtain DNS Servers Automatically' is already checked, as is the radio dial for 'Obtain an IP address automatically'. There is another connection under the heading LAN or High-Speed Internet which is named Local Area Connection and it, too, has both of those radio dials checked. I think I should mention that the Local Area Connection, under the General Tab shows "Connect using: D-Link DFE 530TX PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (revC)" I installed this myself about three years ago because the PC was never equipped with an ethernet card. I'd been given an older laptop and wanted to try a WiFi setup using the PC as a base. After installing the PCI Ethernet adapter, I bought a Link-Sys router and set it up. For a day or two everything seemed to work quite nicely… but then the old PC began to behave strangely (I can't remember exactly what started to go wrong but some of my peripherals stopped working or were no longer recognized by the OS) so I gave both the laptop and the router to my nephew and went back to the PC only. I've been using this SpeedStream ethernet modem for my DSL hook for about three years and haven't experienced any problems along the way. Do you think the adapter might now be causing some of this virus-like behaviour? I wish I could run CMD and follow your instructions… but it just vanishes instantly every time. Thank you. I'm very grateful for your help. I'm not usually this much trouble… honestly. ;-\ Helen

try renaming combofix.exe to combofix.com.

If so a no go, try renaming combofix to worksnow.exe


Umm… was this intended for a different thread?
:pullhair: Sorry about that. So when you try to run Click Start> Run> type in CMD tap enter key You don't get a DOS type window? (black background screen with C:\windows\system32)
Love that emoticon, LD… I know you guys and gals are ever so busy on this forum… ;) Right… I don't get a DOS window… I get what amounts to a puff of smoke and everything disappears. I *used* to get a DOS window when I opted to run CMD or REGEDIT… but both commands now cause utter chaos for a few seconds…. then my desktop puts itself back together again and the task (Start) bar comes back… but there is no sign of the Run window…. I keep trying and trying… but it's the same story every time… If this was American Idol I'm sure all of the Admin staff here would have voted me off long before now… lol! Sorry… I'm just so confused and frustrated with this whole thing… it's starting to make me a bit crazy… You *can* vote me off if you want to… I'd understand… ;)
You can use windows sfc (system file checker) You'd need your XP CD to make this work.
Click Start> Run> type sfc /scannow
(Note that there is a space between sfc and /scannow)
When the Windows XP CD fires up it asks me what I want to do. I, of course, have no idea so I just closed that screen. Then I went to Start>Run and typed in sfc /scannow and a window came up saying, "Please wait while Windows verifies that all protected Windows files are intact and in their original versions." And idicator bar crawled along for about 10 minutes or so and when it got to the end, that screen disappeared and nothing else happened. I then tried to Run CMD again and it's the same, same, same… everything vanishes, my desktop slowly rebuilds itself and no sign of the Run window. Should I give up and just figure the PC is dying of old age?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI