This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Computer protection software

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I got infected with a trojan a couple of days ago - in the aftermath of trying to get rid of it, I now have the following on my machine - AVG; Spybot S & D; HJT; the Malware bytes program that is linked to here; ATF cleaner; Norton internet security and AV (subscription expired over a year ago); Windows security (firewall). Do I need all of these? Should I have more? From what I can gather, you should only have 1 firewall and 1 AV program running - any recommendations from the above list, or something else (preferably free!)? Just curious, but what happens if you have 2 firewalls or AVs running?
HJT and ATF cleaner do not run until you tell them to - so they are not doing anything.

AVG Free now includes an able anti-spyware. Because Norton is known for consuming resources, and because it is expired, I would uninstall Norton.

I might suggest you read the section on "Practicing Safe Computing" in my sticky, Cleaning Out Malware.

There is generally no problem with running 2 firewalls - except you don't need two, so two is just wasting resources.

Running 2 AV programs at once is different because AV programs scan and monitor critical system resources and one AV may see the other AV's activities as "suspicious" - and again, 2 consume extra resources.

Do note that all the defenses are useless if the user opens the door and lets the bad guy in.
Thanks for the advice - your safe computing sticky was also insightful. I'm usually very careful about what I download, where I go online etc, but it just shows how costly one lapse in judgment can be

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI