mudpaws
Topic Starter
Hey everyone, I have a custom-built pc that is not starting, that is, Windows XP will not boot up. I get a black screen with the message:
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\system32\hal.dll
Please re-install a copy of the above file.
OK- I've looked through this site and a bunch of others for DAYS. I am very frustrated, since no one seems to have the exact same problem I do. I can't boot into safe mode AT ALL; In the screen with the BIOS, I can't reconfigure the drive order, it just rejects what I do. I'm not familiar with computers much, and have gotten very frustrated. My original CD-ROM drive crapped out, so now all I have is the CD burner drive left.
How can I ("Step by step", please
) start CLEAN again? I have my original Windows XP Home disk/key.
FYI- a friend "reloaded" my pc with WinXP Pro 2 years ago.
I just want to start from an absolutely clean, totally wiped slate again. Please help!
TIA
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\system32\hal.dll
Please re-install a copy of the above file.
OK- I've looked through this site and a bunch of others for DAYS. I am very frustrated, since no one seems to have the exact same problem I do. I can't boot into safe mode AT ALL; In the screen with the BIOS, I can't reconfigure the drive order, it just rejects what I do. I'm not familiar with computers much, and have gotten very frustrated. My original CD-ROM drive crapped out, so now all I have is the CD burner drive left.
How can I ("Step by step", please
FYI- a friend "reloaded" my pc with WinXP Pro 2 years ago.
I just want to start from an absolutely clean, totally wiped slate again. Please help!
TIA