Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Cannot locate the DVD-ROM HElp Me

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 prov1

prov1

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 05:50 PM

I get this "Cannot locate the DVD-ROM" when trying to play COD4 Single Player, as you don't need the CD to play multi. This is the only game/CD/DVD that I have gotten this message for. :pullhair: The funny thing is I built this PC in October and bought the game shortly after. I PLAYED the game through and successfully ran the CD several times. Then moved on to multi...now, months later, I have been trying to play the Single Player again to no avail. I have contacted Activision Customer Support and they didn't help any with suggesting to re-install Windows and/or replacing my Hard Drive. :wacko: LDTaTe was AWESOME in helping me rid my PC of antivirxp08. So I thought I would try you guys for this! Do you have any suggestions? or have encountered this problem? I have my system info ready. Thanks in advance!

Edited by prov1, 19 July 2008 - 06:04 PM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 HFCG

HFCG

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Interests:I like historical buildings, ghost, and dogs &cats

Posted 19 July 2008 - 06:29 PM

Hello,
Does the drive work with any disc?
Please try this,
Let's have you uninstall the DVD-Drive and then have you reboot and let windows reinstall the drivers for it. To do this, do the following:
  • Go to START-->RUN and type devmgmt.msc
  • In the new window that appears, click the + symbol next to CD/DVD-ROM Drives.
  • Locate the drive in question and right-click it and choose UNINSTALL.
  • Once it's finishing uninstalling, reboot your computer.
Once it's rebooted, try putting a DVD in it again and see if the same thing happens.

----------------------------

If after rebooting you are still having problems, try the following:

Click Start then Run and type regedit...click "Ok"

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Right click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and choose Export. Name this file "filters" and save it to your desktop. This file can be deleted when it is determined it is no longer needed.

In the right pane, if either UpperFilters or LowerFilters are present, right click on it and choose Delete...accept the deletion. Delete both if they are both present.

Close Registry Editor and reboot.

----------------------------

If after doing that your drive still doesn't show up, please download CDGone from HERE. Once it's downloaded, extract the files to your desktop and open the READ ME FIRST.TXT file and follow the instructions there.

Post back with how things are going after doing the above.

Deo gratiam habeamus
Thank you for considering a Donation to What the Tech!
The purple text in my post are links for you to click on
Computer CPUs are designed so that the address of any piece of data in virtual memory is tracked by a single integer register. So the total amount of data the computer can keep in its working field depends on the width of these registers. A 32 bit register size enables 232 addresses (4 GB) to be referenced. Switching to a 64 bit register increases the available address space to (approximately) 16 TB. This is why 32 bit operating systems can only use up to 4 GB of RAM, and 64 bit operating systems can use much more. (I have a 32 bit system)

#3 prov1

prov1

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 08:57 PM

yes every DVD, CD, and Game has worked and still works. Even this game Call of Duty 4 worked b4, but now its not. I will try this and be back. :)

ok 1st one didn't do it. on to the 2nd one now.

and the 2nd one didnt work either. :unsure:

i just don't get it.

Can you tell me how to remove CDGone or restore my reg back as it has made playing DVDs slower than normal.

Edited by prov1, 20 July 2008 - 12:47 AM.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Interests:DVD Burning<br />Hardware<br />Malware

Posted 20 July 2008 - 03:16 AM

I have seen several "friendly fire" casualties from malware removal, these false positives are to be expected. In the digitalvideo field we saw a program called super load a driver that was recognized as malware and removed in several HJT threads and with earlier MBAM scans. A state of the art game would be no exception, have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game? Game protection can be almost identical to rootkit behavior

#5 prov1

prov1

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 10:52 AM

The problem playing the game started 2 months ago....while i got the antivirxp08 last week. The reason i dont want to uninstall and reinstall is I will lose all progress of the game, multi and single. So I uninstalled and reinstalled....single player sill does not work for Call of Duty 4.

Edited by prov1, 20 July 2008 - 01:33 PM.

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Interests:DVD Burning<br />Hardware<br />Malware

Posted 21 July 2008 - 09:28 AM

securom protection with cod4 is an accident waiting to happen Installing the latest official patch might help, uninstalling any virtual drive software would also be necessary Many just took activision's advise and reloaded windows

#7 prov1

prov1

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 10:19 AM

Thanks yo for you help. I have had the latest patch installed b/c I need it to play Multi Online.

And I dont have any virtual drives.

I finally got my Single Player to work! My younger brother had the answer all along! :woot:

Well Activision kept blaming my hardware, and windows is not the problem. I can't believe they pay those guys at Customer Suppport and NOT you PEOPLE HERE!!!

Have a great day.