This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

kaspersky internet security

11 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, does anyone have any thoughts on kaspersky internet security. Is it a good/better/whatever programme. I have read where it now covers rootkits, keyloggers, malware, spyware etc. Is it a resource hogger like Norton? Any help would be appreciated, as always. hedley
It is an able suite - if you like suites. I prefer to "roll my own" to avoid the many "single points of failure". That said, suites have many advantages, including a single user interface to learn and a single tech support center if any problems. All suites do tend to be bloated. In any event, if you are switching away from Norton, I recommend you download your new security programs of choice first, then boot into Safe Mode and totally uninstall Norton. Reboot again then install your new program(s).
IM not sure if Im allowed to post my musings in these forums, but hey, Digerati's beak doesnt look all that sharp…. I gave up on Norton about a month ago after it failed to deal with an infection as I would have liked. Im now trying to decide between NOD32 and Kasp. I've found Kasp to be much easier to use than any of the internet horror story reviews that you might read, Id go as far as calling it idiot proof. It is slightly draconian in the lengths to which it will go to try and protect you, and the firewall is more of a brute force instrument than a surgical tool but these problems can be mitigated somewhat through an easy to understand settings pane. As far as resources/speed go, it will occasionaly stop firefox in it's tracks for 5 secs while it does 'something' but games (my most resource heavy applications!) do seem to run smoother than on NIS, especially more recent games like WiC / online stuff like EQ2. The system scans are a lot quicker than Norton and also manage to seem more thorough, the full scans take around 90 mins on my PC (600GB raid 0 ~300GB of 'stuff') and dont slow down the PC to a great degree. The webroot scan however, is a monster. Im sure its amazing for identifying / removing problems but this bit IS a resource hog. However Kasp does include the option to shut down the PC once the scan is done though, so you can set it running and then go to bed. I've yet to have more than a couple of days with NOD32, so I'll limit myself to saying that it seems less resource heavy than Kasp, the heuristic scan seems as good if not better, but on the malware side of things it (is rumoured to) lag behind Kasp somewhat. Overall, bin Norton. A mousetap would be more likely to protect your computer from infection. I like Kasp a lot, especially the customisation possible in the settings (miles better than Norton). For people like me without the experiance (common sense!) of Digerati et al this plus Spybot (and regular checking of software for updates) covers all your bases :)

Digerati's beak doesnt look all that sharp….

It's not. That's why I use it as a club when necessary. My tongue, however, can be quite sharp, when let loose!

NOD32 is an AV program, not a whole suite. The makers of NOD32 do make ESET Smart Security - a full suite, that does well.

I gave up on Norton about a month ago after it failed to deal with an infection as I would have liked.

…bin Norton. A mousetap would be more likely to protect your computer from infection.

Norton Internet Security, a full suite, is typically considered one of the best, as far as protecting a system - but is disliked by many, mostly due to resource utilization and performance issues (although the latest version is much better than past versions) - the reason I dropped it years ago. It is too bad you had problems with Norton removing your infection - but I am not sure I would blame Norton - if "after-the-fact" removal were easy, there would not be a whole "malware removal" cottage/forum industry.

I would wonder how the infection got there in the first place?

Even the best defense is easily defeated if every user of that computer is not diligent at practicing safe computing (my definition for Practicing Safe Computing is posted here).

The problem with all these defense systems is just that - they are defense systems. They are only good at stopping known, or dreamed up threats. The fact is, many of these malicious code writers are extremely talented, able to keep their new and ever-mutating code just 1/2 step ahead of the good guys. This, as always, boils back down to the user is ultimately the greatest security asset, and the greatest vulnerability.

Something to chew on: What is the incentive for the big security suite makers to rid the world of malware? If they did that, they would go out of business.

BTW, ZoneAlarm now uses the Kaspersky AV engine.
Hi, thanks for the replies. I am actually using Comodo Personal Firewall and avg 8 free at the moment. Since I installed avg 8 my system seems to slow down at times, both the internet and the programmes I'm using, i.e. ms word, music recording prog, wmp. Comodo only ever finds tracking cookies, but is not made to detect keyloggers, trojans etc as far as I know and as yet I haven't had any trouble with the pc - virus wise or anything. I also use superantispyware, spybot s&d and spyware blaster. Maybe I'm jumping the gun in thinking about changing my security programmes? Thanks again for the help. hedley

Hi, thanks for the replies. I am actually using Comodo Personal Firewall and avg 8 free at the moment.

I too use Comodo, but I have AVG 8 (formally Pro). It sounds like you have your system covered. Why are you looking for a suite?


Comodo only ever finds tracking cookies

You mean AVG? Comodo doesn't find things - it blocks things.

but is not made to detect keyloggers, trojans etc

But here, you are right Comodo does not do these things either, but AVG does. With AVG 8 came the inclusion of an anti-spyware module too, and that adds to resource demands. I was disappointed with AVG 8 when it was first released but after a few updates, and disabling a few unnecessary/redundant features, it runs fine now. One thing AVG 8 has over AVG 8 Free is an anti-rootkit module. You still have to be care when you install the free version the you only install what you want, and not any extras they want you to take.
Hi, my mistake, I meant superantispyware found tracking cookies. It was more the fact that I didn't have anything for keyloggers, trojans etc that I thought of a suite, but I suppose I'm covered for the most prevalent - viruses, spyware, malware. If you think my pc is pretty well covered that's ok. Thanks again for the help, much appreciated, as always.

It was more the fact that I didn't have anything for keyloggers, trojans etc that I thought of a suite,

Huh? That's not true at all! I must admit, I am a bit confused. You have done a great job of assembling a fine suite already, but it seems you may be a bit unfamiliar with what you have.

In your defense, if you have not been following industry trends, you may not have noticed that anti-spyware scanners and anti-virus scanners have been evolving rapidly over the last couple years, merging into single anti-malware scanners that look for all sorts of malicious activities, not just spyware and viruses.

Because spyware, Trojans, viruses, worms and other malicious, unwanted code - malware - all attempt to access our systems in similar ways, the idea is to stop the malware from being "installed", then executed on your system in the first place. From a security standpoint there's some logic to having one program watching for all similar malicious activity, instead of 3 programs, with this one only looking for this viruses, and the others each looking for Trojans and spyware. Then who's looking for worms?

Sadly, this only fuels the suite makers into pushing us into their suites! :angry: This is not good because suite introduce several single points of failure that, from a security standpoint, is unacceptable. IMO anyway.

AV programs have been searching for Trojans and worms for some time now, and keyloggers have always been on anti-spyware hit lists. AVG Free now includes AVG Anti-Spyware, and Comodo Firewall is very effective at blocking malware (which is an all-inclusive term) from being installed in the first place.

Note SUPERAntiSpyware will,

Detect and Remove Spyware, Adware, Malware, Trojans, Dialers, Worms, KeyLoggers, HiJackers and many other types of threats.

I started using the Pro version to have real-time AS monitoring - this was some time before AVG Free added their AS to the AV.

So IMO, as long as each user is diligent at practicing safe computing, you are sitting great. I would recommend supplemental scanning every so often with Malwarebytes's Anti-Malware (MBAM) scanner (in my link above). That link also has 2 anti-rootkit scanners. Or Sophos Anti-Rootkit is another option.

And if you are on broadband, you should be behind a router with NAT, and, if budget allows, with "stateful packet inspection" (SPI) also.
Sorry for delay in replying. I have now fully read your article on safe pc strategy etc and the programmes that have been given. I have downloaded Microsoft Rootkit Revealer as the other link would not work on my pc. As you say, from reading your articles, I didn't realise I was covered for some things already. Thank you for your help, much appreciated, as always. :thumbup: hedley
Well just don't forget the human factor - compromises in diligent safe computing practices very quickly turns the user into the weakest link, resulting in exposed vulnerabilities and possible compromised security exposing our systems identities, and our children to those that would exploit, harm, and destroy them.

Like running a Stop sign, even once - might be lucky, might not. Consequences for either can be catastrophic, and lifelong… … or ending.
***

the other link would not work on my pc

Please explain? I don't see a broken link now - but the site might have been down at the time. Or do you mean the program found at the link would not install, or did not work once installed on your system? Which program/link are you talking about?

but is not made to detect keyloggers, trojans etc

But here, you are right Comodo does not do these things either, but AVG does. With AVG 8 came the inclusion of an anti-spyware module too, and that adds to resource demands. I was disappointed with AVG 8 when it was first released but after a few updates, and disabling a few unnecessary/redundant features, it runs fine now. One thing AVG 8 has over AVG 8 Free is an anti-rootkit module. You still have to be care when you install the free version the you only install what you want, and not any extras they want you to take.


Ehmm, I must point out, that Comodo Firewall Pro.3.0 do detect / block Trojans, keyloggers, rootkits, viruses etc.
The main feature dealing with those sorts of threats are the Defense+ system in Comodo. In my opinion,
this is the best FW around, and free to boot!

This patent pending feature profiles a new PC and its applications and registers the existing applications as safe. From that point forward, the only applications that are installed on your PC are those applications listed in Comodo’s White List Database of over 1 million trusted applications or new applications that you specifically allow to be installed. This feature prevents most types of malware and rootkits from being installed and keeps a new PC virus and malware free.
Advanced Network Firewall Engine

Comodo Firewall Pro offers the highest levels of perimeter security against inbound and outbound threats

* Protection against hackers, malware and identity thieves
* New Stealth Mode that makes your PC invisible to hackers and port scans
* Highly configurable rules interface (for advanced users)
* Wizard based auto-detection of trusted zones

Defense Plus Host Intrusion Prevention System

With Comodo Firewall Pro 3.0, we added another critical layer of protection to our world-class firewall. Defense Plus is one of the most advanced Host Intrusion Prevention Systems available in any desktop security program.

* Bulletproof protection against root-kits, inter-process memory injections, key-loggers and more
* Authenticates the integrity of every program before allowing it to load into your computer's memory
* Alerts you every time an unknown or untrusted application attempts to run or install
* Blocks Viruses, Trojans and Spyware before they can ever get onto your system
* Prevents unauthorized modification of critical operating system files and registry entries


Above info is taken directly from Comodo.com's page about what features Comodo FW Pro.3.0 have and what it protects against.

-Abydos
Well, that's true - if the Defense+ HIPS is not disabled, it too can be used to block those threats. It does not however, "scan" for those threats - which is what I was alluding to earlier.

Sadly, many folks have disabled the Defense+ module and stuck with just the firewall. While I admit there are more warning and prompts with Defense+, but it does not take long for it to learn your system.

I like Comodo too and use Defense+.
Digerati, the link I was referring to is in the Practising Safe Computing article you posted. It is the AVG AntiRootkit link from PC World. When I click on the link the next page to come up says 'Thankyou for downloading AVG AntiRootkit', but the programme doesn't download. I do not have the defense+ actived in Comodo. On reading the above post, maybe I should have. Thanks for the help. hedley
Thanks for that - I just tested it and it works now, so there must have been something wrong on the server end when you tried. That said, since AVG has announced they would no longer support or update the free version of the anti-rootkit product (they want you to buy AVG 8 or their security suite), and since you where able to use the Sophos AR, I would not worry about AVG AR. If you intend to enable Defense+, and I recommend you do, then I would run a complete scan again to make sure you are clean - this will allow you to accept what is installed as clean. You will start getting alerts for D+ that are similar, but independent of the firewall alerts. That can be annoying to many, especially until it learns you and your system - so patience is needed and taxed at first.
Thanks Digerati, I will use the Sophos programme I downloaded then and try the defense+ on Comodo and see how it goes. Thanks for your time & your invaluable help, always appreciated. hedley

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI