This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Download AOL for friend

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

This seems a simple task but I'll be darned if I can find the answer. I installed a "refurbished" computer for a friend. They had Win 98 on an old Pack-Bell and used AOL dial up. They do not have an internet connection on the new computer yet and would like me to install AOL (not my choice, theirs).

All I want to do is download AOL and put it on a CD for them to install from but I can't find a link to the actual software. All I can find is 300KB AOLDNLD.EXE which I'm sure is not the full package. I don't want them to have to spend 5-6 hours downloading the rest of it over their dial up line, so where can I find the full download, or do I need to go to Walmart or some other store to pick up a CD?

I have talked them into getting DSL but it will be a week or two before they get it done so need this in the interim.

Edit:
The funny part is I throw at least one of the AOL CDs away every week, they come in the mail.
Hi Ztruker,
Have you tried here………………

http://info.aol.co.uk/downloads/

sorry Ztruker forgot to mention you will have to register and then go back to download page click on aol members download now,but you are probably right going with a new cd……..

Best regards pacman123
Thanks pacman123 , I found that page as well but I have no intention of registering anything with AOL, ever. I did find a way though. I downloaded the AOLDNLD.EXE then ran it. It downloaded the complete install package to the ALL Users/Application Data/AOL….. folder. I was then able to copy that to another location then burn it to CD and install from it once I drilled down to the WAOL directory. I just deleted everything when I was done. I could have made it simpler by creating an autorun.inf file in the root of the CD that pointed to the AOL install executable but didn't think it was worth the effort. My friends are happy as they have AOL for now and as soon as they get DSL, will cancel it and use the free AOL so they can maintain their current E-mail address.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI