This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

CD Rom not showing in Mycomputer

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, I am new to this site so please be gentle. The cd rom drive is not showing in my computer. I can see it in device manager and it says everything is ok, I have uninstalled and reboot and it has found it ok but it still does not show in my computer. I have found on searching ideas regarding the upper & lower filters in regedit, which I have deleted under the specified folders, but again it still does not show in my computer. Also I did try unplugging the drive completely and connecting and still no, and I have search and installed latest drivers etc. Please can someone give me an idea of what to do, before I throw it out of the window Regards
Hi speighty73

:welcome: :)


Try right-click "MyComputer"
Select "Manage"
Select Disc-management

Can windows see it there?

If yes, look for duplicate drive-letters.

You can try assign a drive-letter to it, if you can see it that is.
Note: This should only be done with optical and external drives, if
there is a problem with the device. Some programs expect a certain
letter from when they were installed.

To assign a new drive-letter;

Right-click your optical drive.
Choose change path and letter.
Click edit, and assign new letter.

Assign a letter way up the alphabet, like O or Q. That way, you're sure it won't conflict
with other drives/HD's.


Regards Abydos
Hi, Thanks for the reply, I have had a look in disk management and it has the following Disk 0 (c:) Online Disk1 (Ipod connection) Removable Online Cd-Rom 0 DVD (D:) - this was the drive letter when working No Media Any Ideas Regards
Hi speighty73 Did you try to re-install the drive with a Ipod connection plugged in? Generally its a bad idea installing new drives with any external drives/devices plugged in. What I would do; Remove the CD drive you can't "see" from Disk-management (The whole entry) Remove all external Drives/devices/USB (Except keyboard/mouse if USB) Reboot. Goto Start, Controlpanel. Add hardware, select manual search for the drive. If you can find it there, install anew. If you're successful installing it, do this next; Go to drive-management once again. Re-letter all external devices and your CD-ROM drive to a letter higher up in the alphabet. It might be an external device that have "taken over" the drives letter. This will cause confusion in paths etc. etc. Regards Abydos

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI