This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

WinXP SP3 + Belkin wireless

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I updated my PCs to Windows XP SP3 recently, but one of them used a Belkin wireless adapter (Wireless G Plus MIMO Part # F5D9050) to connect to my network/internet. Afterward I discover that that PC is no longer connecting to the internet. I check Windows wireless connections and far as Windows can tell, it's connected and working fine. I run the Explorer diagnostic tool and the repair option in the network connections, but neither help. It can't browse the internet nor the home network.
Typical troubleshooting, you uninstall most recent changes and work backwards, led to Service Pack 3 being the cause. Which I conferred further by re-installing and uninstalling a few times. (a concept the techs at Belkin can't seem to grasp)
Upon asking Belkin, the first tech concluded it was incompatible with SP3 but when they escalated the issue to another tech, he'd outright refuse to accept it was thier product that wouldn't work and went on the most obvious things to try for the cause. Told them repeatedly it worked before SP3 and when I removed it, it worked perfectly again, then reinstall and it fails, etc. The same goes for each of my PCs and not just the one. My laptop's built in wireless (Dell) connects fine with the new service pack.
Microsoft gave me a temporary bypassuntil Belkin develops a new driver. (Bypasses Windows update from forcing SP3 upgrade)

Any ideas as to what causes this or how to remedy it?
Tried the 3.x and the 4.x (latest) drivers, ran the 2 network tools, and tried directly connecting it to a USB port instead of it's extension stand.
Microsoft gave me a temporary bypass until Belkin develops a new driver. (Bypasses Windows update from forcing SP3 upgrade)

Sounds like the only fix is to wait on Belkin. Either that or get a new router.

One question. Do you have Windows managing your Wireless connection or some Belkin software?
I use the Windows' manager for it, much easier to work with. It's not a router though, it's one of their wireless USB network cards. I'd agree on waiting for Belkin, but problem is, they refuse to believe there's a problem. Hopefully that tech didn't speak for all their developers.
Ok, I'll have to go into the city probably for it. The cheapest ones in nearby stores are more Belkins. lol Was hoping to avoid wasting another $70.
$70 was the gas money :lol: Actually, that's what the USB adapter cost. Ina somewhat related note, You know why all 3 of my windows PCs refuse to browse the other PC directly? For example, I can't browse through a network PC via Network Neighborhood, BUT if I type in the folder address in a my computer window (after a couple attempts) it'll open the folder. It complains the network admin needs to be contacted. (which is me) They all had file/print sharing enabled, ran the network setup, etc. At one point I had 2 of them sharing, but the 1 never did.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI